Athearn FP59PHI

I just ordered one and 5 cars to go with it. I also ordered a diesel decoder to that needs to be installed in it. Now I just need to know how to install the decoder. I have read about the install in other Athearn loco's, so it does not sound to hard. The decoder is an MRC unit. I also ordered a Proigy Advance too. So now I will have several new toys to play with.

Any web site or PDF you can ponit me to for the install would be great. I have done a search here and have found ways to upgrade the blue box ones. That is another project though. I have 3 blue box engine and now the FP59. So far I have not found a thread about a decoder install. I know I will have to insulate the motor frame from the chassis, but that is about it.

Has any one out there run one of these? Is it just like the old blue box or are they better then that. This is the first MRR purchase in over 4 years.

Dru.

Is your F59PHI RTR with the Quick Decoder plug, or "standard"? There was a great article in MR about Athearn units (blue box), but the quick plug RTR units, just require a decoder that has 8 pins really. Give me a hint as to which one and i might be able to find something (if no one beats me to it).

Well after doing a little more reading, they have a DCC harness already installed. I guess it does help if I read:eek: . But I coulld still use the help on my old blue box Athearn GP 35's.

Do the newer Athearn run quieter then the old blue box ones?

Dru.

I have two of the blue box ones that sound like a blender/rock crusher. They run alright, but they are loud. They have about 15 hours of run time on them and they have are still as loud as the day I put themon the track. I guess I will do all of the things I have read about upgrading them to make them quiet.

Dru.

Back