Athearn F7A question

OK, another dumb question from me about F7s. :)

I picked up 2 Athearn BB F7A units from eBay, and neither have any weights in them. They are both flywheel equipped and definitely were displayed or boxed units as they are in beautiful condition, but no weight inserts whatsoever. I have previously gotten them two ways, usually with the "Super Power" single weight or one I got had two smaller ones on each end.

Were they ever sold unweighted? It seems like they wouldn't pull an ore car with their current setup. I just wanna be sure before mentioning anything to the seller.

Cheers...
Mark

The only time I ever got an F7 without weights, was when I bought the Dummy units. I don't believe I have ever seen a powered unit without some kind of weight.

bob

Correct. Athearn BB F's always had either the two weights or the one big "super wieght". You can use the big weight with any F unit by just removing the two smaller weights, BTW. The seller owes you some weights.

Thanks guys! If sure doesn't feel like they'll pull much without it.

The small set of weights I have don't fit over the flywheels so it will have to be super weights.

Mark

Just a quick update: seller says he "usually removes those to save weight" but says he will be sending 2 pieces to me free of charge. He made decent money on the shipping so that's fair I guess, but it probably should have been mentioned in the auction.

Thanks again for the help fellas...

Mark

Removes them to save weight? I take it this seller isn't much of an model railroader. :) Sounds like he's at least willing to make good on the goof-up. The super weight is one huge hunk of metal that sites over the motor and extends from the rear of the unit amost all the way to the cab. I think Athearn still sell them as parts and they really do make an F7 into quite a puller.

Well actually he has in excess of 2400 feedback and "trains", literally, is in his username. So oh yeah he knows trains. I decline to comment further until I get my freakin' weights. :)

Mark

Hmmm interesting... I think I can save MTS customers some money... We could take all the weights out to save them on shipping.... NOT!!! Hope you get them Mark...

seller says he "usually removes those to save weight".

Reminds me of the story I heard years ago about the truck driver who retarded the slack adjusters on his rig to save the wear and tear on brake shoes. Worked great until he needed to stop in a hurry one time...........:rolleyes:

LOL! It does seem like a strange reason to put forth. A creative one though, give him that.

Either way he apparently has shipped out two pieces. And due to the amount he charged for shipping in the original auction and how much he actually spent, he still is in the black with the cost of shipping these weights out.

One side question for Americans who use USPS for shipping: do you pay more than what is on the shipping stamp? In other words, if it says $4.76 on the USPS label on the box, is that what you pay or do you pay more on top in taxes, insurance, etc?

The reason I ask is up here the Canada Post printed amount does not reflect taxes which (in Ontario anyway) adds another 13% of "invisible" charge. So for example if a package has $20 on the stamp, it actually costed $22.60 to send.

Mark

Mark,
Those of us in the USA don't pay anything more for shipping than the cost of stamps and insurance, if you request it. There is no sales tax on postage. Don't say it too loud though, as someone in the federal government is probably thinking about the idea now. :)

Back