Athearn F59PHI Help

Glopy19

Hello all, one month ago i received an F59PHI from Athearn. For a month its was working perfectly, 2 days ago it began running slower and VERY noisy. I have attempted cleaning the track but have been unable to examine the locomotive due to my not understanding how it comes off.

Thanks

Sounds like it may have picked something up into the drive, ballast or dirt maybe?
I had one a while ago, I think it's a pry the shell open sort of thing to get it off.
I'm sure someone here can elaborate better!

When mine started doing that I took the Shell off & the motor had came out of the mount. I took a small Phillips Screwdriver & pushed the round mounts back into the frame.
What happens is when it gets out of the mounts it loses contact w/the frame(the Ground) & it just runs erratic w/out a ground.
To take the shell off, just pry under the shell on ea. side & it comes off straight up. Be careful in case it has LED's wired to the motor.
If you need a picture I'll take the shell off of one of mine to show you what happens.

When i opened it up the motor was attached to the base, it ran fine without the shell on however so i have the impression its resonation, any solutions?

I have Several of these.

Make sure the motor/flywheels are aligned longitudinally along the engine. You might be getting the flywheel rubbing on one side.

If you have resonance try taking a bit of wadded up paper towel and stuffing it in the top of the engine away from the flywheels.

I just ran it again without the shell and it made the noise, I must not have heard it when i ran it without the shell earlier. It may have picked up dust from my shelf when i was storing it there. How would I go about cleaning it?

Can you take a short video of it and post it to youtube or something so that we can hear what you are talking about? We can better diagnose it if we can hear the actual noise. It coils be any number of components in the locomotive. Barring that I have a spare mechanism I might be able to get to you if you have no luck eliminating the noise.

Back