Athearn EMD Demo

TMLW

Thunder Mt. Loco Works
I have the old Athearn EMD Demo set (SD40-2 #6047 and GP38-2 #769) I would like to detail these engines like the rest of my Athearns. I also have a 2nd GP38-2 i need to change the number on. My question is, what is the best color for the blue on these engines? I need to paint the hand rails as well as some of the parts. I would prefer to use Pollyscale paints. I think GN BSB will be too light. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conrail blue should be almost a perfect match. Big Sky Blue is also close. I'd take one of the engines to a hobby shop and match up the paint if that's possible for you to do.

I've found Floquil Conrail Blue to be an almost exact match to the athearn GP60 demo colours, so Polyscale CR blue should be very close as well.

Thanks for the answers. CR blue sounds like the one to use. I will have to take it down to LHS to be sure, just going to have to wait till next week to do so.

Thanks for the answers. CR blue sounds like the one to use. I will have to take it down to LHS to be sure, just going to have to wait till next week to do so.
Jeff, I painted a whole lease unit using Floquil CR blue. It turned out very much like your engines.

After looking though my paint, i discovered that i had some GN BSB from a previous project i did for someone. I painted the hand rails to see how it looked, and it is a near perfect match! I even touched up the rear end of the GP38 and once i dullcoat it, i think it will be perfect. I will post a photo tomorrow.

I love the POTB loco!!! Did you do that? If so great job. Show so more pics of that! I grew up in Oregon and spent many days in Tillamook watching the trains. Im going to miss POTB.

Yes, i did paint the #101 and had the decals made. Their are more photos of it on my website.

Jeff, I've used both CR blue and Big Sky Blue for EMD demonstrators and found either one was very close but sometimes you'd get a slightly better match from one or the other other, depending on the batch. I always kept both on hand and did the old eyeball test before painting the whole engine. :)

Not great pics since they are from my cell, but here they are so far. I have to go down to the hobby shop later in the week to go pick up the rest of the parts for the engines.

Back