Athearn Bombardier Coaches on a 18" Curve

Hey all,

I purchased two Bombardier coaches to run with a Athearn RTR F59PHI locomotive. At first, they would not go around my test track which was a measily 18" radius.

The problem was the coaches have quite an overhang and the short coupler arms couldn't reach at one point because the vestibules got in the way of each other.

I simply took out the short coupler and put in a Kadee replacement with a super long arm. Walah! Now I run the set around the measily 18" curves and #4 turnouts! These will eventually go with a 19.25" radius layout.

These coaches (commuter line) are really nice, and of course having had watched the prototypes in action for many years, its fun having a "living prototype" on my test track.

Take a look at the prototype F59's on my webpage if you haven't yet...

http://www.qualitymodelrailroads.com/BNSF_Railway/BNSF_index.html

Its really one of my favorite diesels. I plan to convert the RTR engine to DCC.

I have, on several occasions, converted rolling stock just as you did with a simple change of couplers. If you don't mind the overhang and toylike appearance of the cars on the curves, it works fine. I use all 18" radius on my layout and as a rule don't run any rolling stock longer than 60', though I do have some long locomotives (several E units and an AC4400).

Also, If you have any defects at all in your track they have a tendency to derail. I even tried changing the wheels to a deeper flange, but they wouldn't fit. I have 3 of the Florida Tri-rail cars. Get a lot of raves when people see them behind my F59PH Amtrak.
I bought them in a 3 pc. set for $49.00 when they 1st. came out.
Really nice looking cars & have that xtra detail & I didn't have to add anything.

larry

Also, If you have any defects at all in your track they have a tendency to derail. I even tried changing the wheels to a deeper flange, but they wouldn't fit. I have 3 of the Florida Tri-rail cars. Get a lot of raves when people see them behind my F59PH Amtrak.
I bought them in a 3 pc. set for $49.00 when they 1st. came out.
Really nice looking cars & have that xtra detail & I didn't have to add anything.

larry

Yes, Larry , these Bombardier coaches are the nicest passenger coaches I have seen from Athearn. Ironically, in the road name livery I want, they are hard to find! Athearn has stopped producing the west coast series (I have been told by a dealer) and so you must shop till you drop to find them. Hopefully, they will put them out again soon. That is a very good deal you got!

The F59s apparently have been out of production for a while too, but they aren't as hard to find. They are very nice models...heck, the prototype is so gorgeous anyway you know the model must look good!

Hey all,

I purchased two Bombardier coaches to run with a Athearn RTR F59PHI locomotive. At first, they would not go around my test track which was a measily 18" radius.

The problem was the coaches have quite an overhang and the short coupler arms couldn't reach at one point because the vestibules got in the way of each other.

I simply took out the short coupler and put in a Kadee replacement with a super long arm. Walah! Now I run the set around the measily 18" curves and #4 turnouts! These will eventually go with a 19.25" radius layout.

Oh no! I just bought an F59 sounder and a 3 bombardier coaches for my son. I know this is an old thread but can you tell me what kadee coupler fits the coaches? Thanx

Yes, Kadee's should fit. They come equipped with McHenry's which are basically plastic kadee couplers.

Bringing up this subject, MetzgerTrains, you found any recently? Prices on the 3 packs of Metrolink cars seem to be rising, and I need 4 more of the 3 packs, an 6 more single coaches!

A #5 is the standard length centerset coupler which would be the standard one for this car. If you are looking for the longer one which the original author is using, the #36 would give you the extra length (25/64" long instead of 9/32").

On the subject of these cars, they are around a fair bit up here in Canadian stores in the GO Transit livery (transit in Toronto). It might be because the bi-level cars were actually designed for GO in the 70s (it's a fact! :) )...

Mark

Back