Athearn BB Switcher Decoder Install

MGWSY

Here are some pics of Decoders and lights I installed on Athearn BB Switchers for Jerome. This is the first time I have done these and they came out ok for what they are. I soldered wires to the Bronze wheel bearings and then made a plug on the motor for the decoder. The decoder is mounted in the shell along with all the wires for the headlights, ditch lights, and beacon. Now back to Jerome's they go to get finished up.

DSC05667.png

DSC05666.png

DSC05664.png

DSC05665.png

DSC05661.png

DSC05663.png

DSC05662.png

DSC05659.png

DSC05658.png

Looks really nice. What brand of decoder did you use for it? Are you going to add sound or just the decoder?

There isn't enough room for a sound decoder and speaker in those units. You can fit one in the cab maybe. But space is limited on the BB SW1500's. I used a NCE D13SR decoder which has 4 functions and I am also doing an SP unit with full lights using an 8 function decoder.

Mark, nice job. How exactly did you get the cab headlight in? Try as I might, I could never get any bulb or LED to fit in that space.

Mark, nice job. How exactly did you get the cab headlight in? Try as I might, I could never get any bulb or LED to fit in that space.

I used some small Surface Mount white LEDs that I tinted with Tamiya Clear orange. I made a soldering jig for the LEDS so I can solder two of them together spaced for the Headlights. Then I just soldered some 38ga magnet wire to them. Same for the Ditch lights.

DSC05630.png

DSC05632.png

Looks awesome, I have a bb sw1500 waiting for the same thing but I think soldering in micro LEDs may be over my skill level.

Boy, Mark, I can see how those surface mount LED's would finally fit. I've never tried my hand with those so I guess it's time to get some and see how bad I can screw them up. :)

Back