Athearn BB Replacement Wheelsets sizes

Frank Rizzo

RAIL BARON
Hello, I'm looking to replace the plastic wheelsets on two HO Athearn bluebox loco's, GP35 and SW7 calf. Now I have searched the forums and found lots of talk on replacement freight and passenger wheels, but not on the Athearn BB loco wheels.

So, I'm looking for HO RP25 NMRA 110 wheelsets. I have found info pointing to NWSL, Kadee, InterMountain, and JayBee for replacement wheels. I've found replacement wheels in 38", 40", and 42", and with pointed, flush, shldr, and shortpoint, plastic or non-ferrous axles. What is the correct size wheelset and axle type for the Atheran BB GP35 and SW7?

The existing plastic wheel sets slide on a metal axle and snap into a plastic axle guide which fits into the truck. I'm guessing thats the standard BB loco wheelset.

Thanks for any advice or website with replacement wheel size guide, like KADEE has for their replacement couplers.

Frank

Yeah, that's one of those anal prototype issues that sometimes bothers me; the direct replacement is 42" but the real thing had 40". I don't think I've ever downsized, but would like to.

Kennedy

I'm sure you could switch to Blunt half axle 40" code 88, or even code 68, to be more "in scale".

HaggisKennedy said:
Yeah, that's one of those anal prototype issues that sometimes bothers me; the direct replacement is 42" but the real thing had 40". I don't think I've ever downsized, but would like to.

Kennedy

Actually I seen no reason that the 42" wheels can't be replace with 40" wheels on the non powered locomotive unless there is a reason I am not aware of.The coupler shouldn't be a problem to adjust to the correct height.
There *might* be a problem with powered units due to the gears.:confused:

When it was first done, it had somethign to do with can motor power & the gearing and stuff.

Back