Athearn Amtrak P42

Empire Builder

Great Northern fanatic
I seemed to have lost the coupler boxes that go on my Athearn P42, so I was wondering if you could buy replacement coupler boxes for an Athearn Ready-to-roll Amtrak P42, & if so, where?

Any help will be welcome!!!

Try calling atheran i think im not entirly sure. That in the manual theres a part list find the part and the part number and call atheran they should send you a replacement. not sure at what cost.

Are these what you're looking for?

ATH90606-450.jpg

They're $3 for 12 pieces (not including shipping), you can order them direct from Horizon Hobby (Athearn's owner) by going here:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH90606

If you want my honest opinion though, I would just ditch these crummy Athearn plastic clips and mount a genuine Kadee coupler box (comes in packages with all coupler types) directly onto the metal frame of the engine, specifically the metal tongue where you put the coupler. You may need to play with the coupler height a little bit, but the operation and centering of the coupler will be drastically improved using the Kadee box.

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrpls said:
Are these what you're looking for?

ATH90606-450.jpg

They're $3 for 12 pieces (not including shipping), you can order them direct from Horizon Hobby (Athearn's owner) by going here:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH90606

If you want my honest opinion though, I would just ditch these crummy Athearn plastic clips and mount a genuine Kadee coupler box (comes in packages with all coupler types) directly onto the metal frame of the engine, specifically the metal tongue where you put the coupler. You may need to play with the coupler height a little bit, but the operation and centering of the coupler will be drastically improved using the Kadee box.

No, they're more rectangular & they're grey, as for the couplers, it came with aBacman easy-mate couplers.

Bachmann EZ Mate couplers? Eeeeeeeeeewww. First thing I would do is take off those EZ Mate couplers and toss them in the garbage dump where they belong; they are droopy, are made of weak plastic and will often uncouple and "lift out" from an opposing coupler even when pulling a reasonable amount of weight. I would almost recommend the old-school "horn hook" couplers over the EZ Mates.

I'm telling you: Buy a pack of Kadee #5 and use the coupler box that comes in the package. Mount it onto the engine's frame with a drill tap and screw. That's my advice, but if you really, really, really must stay with the inferior EZ Mate couplers and Athearn's ill-designed coupler box, contact Athearn on their website at http://www.athearn.com

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrpls said:
Bachmann EZ Mate couplers? Eeeeeeeeeewww. First thing I would do is take off those EZ Mate couplers and toss them in the garbage dump where they belong; they are droopy, are made of weak plastic and will often uncouple and "lift out" from an opposing coupler even when pulling a reasonable amount of weight. I would almost recommend the old-school "horn hook" couplers over the EZ Mates.

I'm telling you: Buy a pack of Kadee #5 and use the coupler box that comes in the package. Mount it onto the engine's frame with a drill tap and screw. That's my advice, but if you really, really, really must stay with the inferior EZ Mate couplers and Athearn's ill-designed coupler box, contact Athearn on their website at http://www.athearn.com

Thanks for your help! I'll try KAdee #5's 1st, because I have those on hand, & if they don't work, I'll try to order athearn coupler boxes.

Even if you end up using the Athearn box, PLEASE at the very least use Kadee couplers with it. Bachmann EZ Mates aren't worth their weight in dog poop.

mtrpls said:
Even if you end up using the Athearn box, PLEASE at the very least use Kadee couplers with it. Bachmann EZ Mates aren't worth their weight in dog poop.
Most defently.. But nothing compairs to the Sergent's...

Back