Armchair Modeling Suggestions?

abcraghead

Mmmm, turbos
Not sure where else to post this, so into the ANPL it goes...

Due to circumstances beyond my control, my space is about to squeeze so far down that I won't have room for a layout anymore, much less a lot of time to work on one. At the same time, I don't want to completely exit the hobby.

So share what you do in those armchair modeling times... give me some suggestions!

I dream of SP&S C636s being turned into razor blades and Toyotas. :D

I've gone through this process. I regretted selling off all my stuff. Keep all your stuff in a safe area. Railfan via the internet. Get out and watch the real thing from time to time. Keep up with friends. That day will come when you can get back in.

For 6 months I commuted between San Antonio and Houston, weeeknds in SA were full of family, weeknights in Houston were full of boredom.....(this was before I discovered cameras...)

enter the "module" layout. approx 4'x2', it allowed me to try some new scenery techniques, photography, ballasting, and all sorts of things I had never done before. I wasn't part of a club, so my "module" didn't have to fit with any others and I thought it might work into my future home layout. It didn't but, at the time it worked for me.

no room for even that? well...

Rolling stock-wise, I bought some craftsman-level Ambroid kits and took my time building them. A LOT of time....

Worked on my airbrush skills on the patio.

I built a shelf from 1x2 and made a place to display my work, not like anyone but me saw them, tho....but i did. zero floor space

Once we moved and I got my layout room, I had sharpened my layout skills, had some top-drawer new rolling stock for it, and avoided 6 months of TV-induced stupor.....

Ken's right.
Weathering, kits, detailing and hoarding keep your hands, heart & soul in the hobby, but don't take much space.
Make a small photo-diorama and practice macro photography.
Books and videos, and research.
Heck, this sounds like what I do, now.

So share what you do in those armchair modeling times
Well my armchair times were because I really had no plan and time was premium, I mean I spent more time at the plant than I did home, and when home I just wanted to rest.
It was during this rest period I really enjoyed model rail. I visualized my dream layout, modified it to meet changing desires. Going to hobby shops was always a great experience, I'd buy kits (some are still not built) because I thought they would look nice on the layout or were interesting in themselves. I read magazines, devoured track plan books and visualized how they (the plans) could be modified to make a better layout for me. I purchased rollingstock, because I was going to need lots so the cheaper the better, track and turnouts. Attended every MR show I could, lots of interesting stuff there. I would say most of my model planning was armchair ( Lazy Boy) and some of my most enjoyable moments ( no work just dream read or plan) while my wife watched TV. There was no internet then. The internet and the time to physically do something about a layout came about the same time. Yep! dreaming about and planning were quite enjoyable and building kits was even better. What I didn't know much about then was dioramas. Film and developing was an expensive proposition, money that could be better spent on MR assessories. Today we have digital cameras and photography is certainly a part of model railroading. Although, dioramas, model building and photography are a more active part of model railroading than armchairing, it should be seriously be considered, as only a foreground scenery ( which could be changed) is required in front of slightly raised track to display prized models or rollingstock. So in this order I suggest building kits & detailing rollingstock, a module with 3 ft of track and a bit of scenery to photograph them on, and lastly read books associated with MR and visualize your next layout which is somewhat less strenuous than doing anything, but quite enjoyable none the less :D

Back