ARG Meet 5/13/06, Benchwork for the Alabama Central RR

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi all. I thought I'd update everyone on this month's ARG meet. CJ hosted and the theme was benchwork for his new RR, the Alabama Central. A group of ARGers desended on Carey's house to eat lunch, er, ah, build benchwork. A great time was had by all, the food was GREAT and a good bit of work got done. Since Rex brought his table saw and many others brought tools, clamps, levels, drills, etc, things went together pretty darn quick. Folks with the right tools and a little know how can really produce! Fortunately, as the photographer, I don't have to work...:D

L to R, Glen, Mr May, LGM, Mikey. Gettin it done!
146473271.gif

L to R, Mr May, Scott, CJ, Mikey. Note that CJ is strictly suprvising. ;)
146473261.gif

Glen, Rex, Mr May and Mikey, do a quick review of the plans. I think Mr May just caught a whiff of lunch cooking!
146473252.gif

Ah, there is what caught his attention!
146473241.gif

William and Jimmy digging in.
146473267.gif

CJ and LGM, supervise construction after lunch.
146473246.gif

This is how it looked when we left. As I told ya'll, a good bit got done this morning! Anyone have any current pics?
146473257.gif

BMRR said:
Looks like everyone had a great time !!

Stan.

I hope everyone did. My wife has asked a couple of times if everything was OK?:confused: Of course, I told her. Everyone got FED.:p:D Sorry we missed ya Stan!:(

Eric;

How did ya get Jimmie to stand still long enough to get his picture????:eek::eek:
TWICE?:D

Cjcrescent said:
I hope everyone did. My wife has asked a couple of times if everything was OK?:confused: Of course, I told her. Everyone got FED.:p:D Sorry we missed ya Stan!:(

Eric;

How did ya get Jimmie to stand still long enough to get his picture????:eek::eek:
TWICE?:D

Tell Mrs CJ that everything was great!

As for Jimmy, he thinks to be photographed steals his soul... :D

WOW! Looks like a great time was had by all!!! I wish you guys weren't so far away --- I'd apply for membership in the ARG --- even if you prob'ly couldn't understand my "Valley-Girl" talk. :D

Lady_Railfan said:
WOW! Looks like a great time was had by all!!! I wish you guys weren't so far away --- I'd apply for membership in the ARG --- even if you prob'ly couldn't understand my "Valley-Girl" talk. :D

You'd be a welcome member. All you would have to do is throw in a few "Ya'lls" and "Moma and Thems" here and there and you'd fit right in... :D

Claudia;

Just remember too, as long as you start the sentence with "Bless his/her heart..." you can say anything and not have it seen as an insult. Like "Bless her heart, I'm not saying she's gained some weight, but I didn't know tent canvas came in that color".

Ahhh man! I had a great time, but I am sure sore today. It was so much fun with us all working together and WOW, we got a lot accomplished! CJ, How many feet of layout did we finally end up with?

Tell Mrs. CJ: THANKS! Everything was perfect. (I know you didn't prep anything:p :D )

RexHea said:
Tell Mrs. CJ: THANKS! Everything was perfect. (I know you didn't prep anything:p :D )

Rex;

You got that right! She did get all the food ready while all I did was cook!
Iffin' I had to have gotten all the food ready, yall probably would have starved!:D:D:D

CJ- how many feet of bench work was completed?

I needed three things after leaving your place and digging in the dirt with my grandson: ALEVE, horse linament and a nap. I hate to think what I would have felt like if had actually done any work.
Except for a little rain, the temperature was good for building benchwork. The only people to break a sweat were Rex and Glenn, and that might have been from sniffing the meat on the grill.

Tell Mrs. CJ, thanks for a fine feed and a great time.
Mikey

AC update!

The pennisula is finished, and all of the subroadbed for the staging yards is in place. I have the track for the staging yards, just waiting on the arrival of the cork roadbed to finish placing the track in staging.

Starting to cut spline, for the rest of the layout, and still have to build the entrance swingout. Has to be a swingout since there will be scenery across it.

Cjcrescent said:
AC update!

The pennisula is finished, and all of the subroadbed for the staging yards is in place. I have the track for the staging yards, just waiting on the arrival of the cork roadbed to finish placing the track in staging.

Starting to cut spline, for the rest of the layout, and still have to build the entrance swingout. Has to be a swingout since there will be scenery across it.

Hum, and the pics??? :D :D :D

Sounds like some great progress! :cool: Can't see trains running. :)

RexHea said:
Excuses! Excuses!:rolleyes:
Ok, for all who have asked! Pictures:p. First one is of my complaint department, for those underpaid, overworked, individuals who come over thinking they'll get off light!

Second is Gate into layout. It swings on a hinge and rolls on casters.

Third is of Prattville, Al. staging yard. Loop is too big for one photo.

Fourth is of the loop at the end of Browns, Al. staging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last two shots are of Browns staging and looking toward what will be Fulton, Al. and on around the bend the "big" town of Burnsville.

I lov how there were posts to this topic yesterday, and I didn't know until the posts today. Awsome pics though!

Back