Are you ready for the winter?

Russian

Saskatoon railfan
Is your layout ready for the winter? I made sure mine was by purchasing a rotary.
View attachment 2195
The guy selling it had 3 un-assembled kits of the CN version!:D
I've somewhat heard of it before, so was intersted at taking a closer look when I saw it. The seller then told me the rotar spins and I was hooked. Although it looks much better then it is functional - the rotar spins by elastics from the wheels, a very primitive system that works "randomly".

Having this monster on the roster, it didn't take long to assembel a work extra. The mentioned rotary+CN C628 for power+bayview caboose for the crew.
View attachment 2196
I've also added a gondola with excavators in case the train got stock or the rotary needed some help.
View attachment 2197

After doing some reasearch, it appears this rotary was of SOO origin, and that CP after buying SOO, sold it to CN. Hence the odd color sheme. Unfortunately neither CN & CP have rotaries anymore, besides this one.

I also have various construction equipment that is normally used for snow clean-up as well.

So, what's on your roster?:p I guess layouts could always lease this rotary from me.

Hey Russian,
I built one of those Athearn rotatry plows and powered the blade by putting an extra motor in it. It works great except the blade is turning whenever the power is on! I got the idea from an old Model Railroad Craftsman mag.
:eek:

Lets see, Jet Snow remover (on order), WCL Russell Snow Plow, and UP rotary. not to mention the various units with plows... Wait til you the plows going on my dad's RS18!

Josh,
The rotary unit I used was a UP and I changed it to Milwaukee Road, I also have a Milw. Russel plow, Milw. gondola with plow mounted on it and someday will scratch build a plow made from an old steam tender. I have all the parts for the last one just have to put it together!!

I've got one Athearn and one Walthers. The Walthers one has a motor in it already; I ditched the controller in it and put in a decoder, so now the cutter turns at it's own speed. I can have it sitting in a siding with the cutter turning slowly so it won't freeze up....

:D

Kennedy

i have a russel plow and the plow that comes on some of my loco's

the russel plow is in th D@H paint

I think I'll put teo of those Woodland Scenics corner modules together and build a small 3 track classification yard, for my winter diorama, and use the jet snowblower there.

Kennedy, Great idea with the decoder, I never gave that one a thought. Should make the plow work a whole lot better!!

Andy,

The way it's set up, the plow is unpowered, so all you need is a single motor decoder to run the blades. The locos pushing the plow are consisted together, so all you are doing is running two separate addresses.

Somebody told me that the Walthers motor is limited to 5volts, so I set it's decoder at maybe 45% power at the highest speed step. That way, I don't burn it out. Plus, at full power (5 volts), the blades spin way too fast anyway, it looks like an airplane prop. Once you figure that, you can back off the speed curve so that max speed is a manageable, realistic blade spin.

It's actually pretty cool....

Kennedy

Kennedy,
I built the Athearns model and put a motor from an old AHM locomotive in it. I also used the power truck for my pick up. The plow itself is not powered and needs an engine to push it so your set up should work just fine! THANKS
I also made the Athearns model a diesel instead of steam,I closed up two porthole windows, added fans and a horn to the top, took of the boiler cover on the back and added some louvers and MU hoses. When I get my digital camera back from my daughter I will take some shots of it if anyone is interested!

ak-milw said:
Kennedy,
I built the Athearns model and put a motor from an old AHM locomotive in it. I also used the power truck for my pick up. The plow itself is not powered and needs an engine to push it so your set up should work just fine! THANKS
I also made the Athearns model a diesel instead of steam,I closed up two porthole windows, added fans and a horn to the top, took of the boiler cover on the back and added some louvers and MU hoses. When I get my digital camera back from my daughter I will take some shots of it if anyone is interested!
I'm intersted in the photos. Might end up modefying this one down the road...

Well, the Walthers one is a steamer also; I haven't converted it yet. I have a tender for it; I think it was one of those MDC tender kits from awhile back.

If I went to diesel power, I'd use either an Intermountain SmartDummy F7B unit, or an Athearn Blue Box dummy. I'll throw a diesel sound decoder in it and set it to consist with the rotary, with the F-unit speed curve to be steeper in relation to the rotary. So, when the rotary is at full power (low voltage), the F-unit is also at full power (high voltage). So, you'd have the engine screaming away while the blade turns at prototypical speeds....

:D

Kennedy

Back