Are You Just Practicing? A Philosophical Question.

David/Ryan, The module idea is cool. I'm not sure it fits my retirement RR plan (what the heck, I ain't planning to move it :D ). I wish we'd had module for our last move though.

Larry, I don't see me tearing out much, but you never know. I know a guy that's been working on his layout (small) for years and has almost no scenery. He builds a section, tears it up and starts over. That ain't no way to run a RR. :D

Johnny, It's true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm thinking of a layout that most of ya'll would really like though...;) You know, something so realistic that you have to do a double take when looking at a pic to see if it's the real thing. I'm just not sure I can pull it off. I'm going to keep practicing though...;) I'd love to spend my retirement running trains (with the kids, grandekids and friends) on a layout like I'm visualizing. I can see some cool operating sessions. :cool:

Eric

I think part of the module idea, if I read what Dave Barrow was talking about was the expanding capabilities and such, I think he actually called his the domino system or something like that. With Ryan's comment it has me really thinking now. We do plan on moving in a few years. I know the layout I currently have up will not make the breakdown and move without some major damage. I am struggling with the thought that I really should be replanning my strategy. (Thanks Ryan...in a good way ;) )

dthurman said:
Eric

I think part of the module idea, if I read what Dave Barrow was talking about was the expanding capabilities and such, I think he actually called his the domino system or something like that. With Ryan's comment it has me really thinking now. We do plan on moving in a few years. I know the layout I currently have up will not make the breakdown and move without some major damage. I am struggling with the thought that I really should be replanning my strategy. (Thanks Ryan...in a good way ;) )

Well, it is an interesting idea when thought of as an expanding RR. What that means is we could all start working on our "ultimate" RR modules now. Hhhhum, now there's a thought. :) If we were to move between now and then, the modules could go right along with us. Maybe I should be looking into this too.

Good question with many answers.For me no..First I favor industrial switching layouts and therefore none of these layouts as been done as practice or stages as each layout was design with prototypical operation in mind and had a rhyme and reason for being and that rhyme and reason was never repeated from layout to layout as each layout was unique in design.Even on the few point to point branch line layouts and the very few small loop layouts I built over the years the design,rhyme and reason changed from layout to layout..

Back