Are you careful who you tell about being a model railroader?

Being brand new to the hobby, I'm kind of nervous about discussing my new hobby with others.

How does a 56 YO man tell his wife he wants to start playing with toy trains? I was shocked at how receptive she was to the idea, and how encouraging she has been.

Other than that, I've only told one other friend, actually an employee. He already thinks I'm crazy, and has probably announced it over the intercom while I've been in the bathroom.

And, how about these weird things I've been buying at home improvedment stores: a single sheet of foam, 3 2x4 studs, etc. Those checkout clerks ask about weird purchases: "what are you building". "A model railroad track" "Oh". Thankfully, the neighbors haven't seen me taking them out of the truck and putting them in the basement.

I don't think about it one way or another. I think self-confidence has a lot to do with it. I do what makes me feel good. If someone else has a difference of opinion, they should do what feels good to them.

Being brand new to the hobby, I'm kind of nervous about discussing my new hobby with others.

How does a 56 YO man tell his wife he wants to start playing with toy trains? I was shocked at how receptive she was to the idea, and how encouraging she has been.

Other than that, I've only told one other friend, actually an employee. He already thinks I'm crazy, and has probably announced it over the intercom while I've been in the bathroom.

And, how about these weird things I've been buying at home improvedment stores: a single sheet of foam, 3 2x4 studs, etc. Those checkout clerks ask about weird purchases: "what are you building". "A model railroad track" "Oh". Thankfully, the neighbors haven't seen me taking them out of the truck and putting them in the basement.

Get your friend to announce over the PA that Rod Stewart, Michael Jordan, and Neil Young are model railroaders and so was, Frank Sinatra and Johnny Cash; also Winston Churchhill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally dont care what anyone thinks so it's not a problem. A co-worker was showing off his new camera he brought in the office and the topic of depth of field came up. He was trying to describe it so I opened my photobucket account to show a couple of examples. They thought it was neat and showed interest. If they were just being nice fine, I wouldn't care either way. My hobby is better than one the Boss has. He plays curling. :D

you'll find that mature folks are more accepting of things than immature, insecure types who feel a need to shine a spotlight on others lest anyone shine it on them....

I have a friend at work who is really into the historical modeling, accurate to the rivet counts....he's a great resource, and folks here hold his opinion in very high regard.

I've had those DoF discussions with several folks here, none of whom have ever had anything to do with MRR. But show them a decent MRR photo and watch the discussion blossom!

Of course, it being an engineering-centric company helps.

I'm not bashful about it at all!
Both my car and my truck are sporting FCSME Logos on the rear glass, and my co-workers have seen my Google desktop at work. (Yes, you can now personalize your Google screen with any pic you want, no more silly doodles.)

Most folks think its pretty cool, some think it's silly. I figure its their loss!:rolleyes:

i think its really funny actually.. i like the reactions from people... im a fully tattooed, 28 year old tattoo artist, and ill be at work adding details to locos, and people who dont know that im into trains look at me like im crazy.... i like what i like:) and dont worry what others think...most people dont realize the time, money and patience that goes into model railroading.

Afraid of What?

The way I look at it the people that think model railroading is silly are way off track and headed for a train wreck! Keep the pressure up and let those trains roll...:D

How does a 56 YO man tell his wife he wants to start playing with toy trains?

That's your problem, you are just seeing and basically telling others that you want to roll a wooden thomas the train toy on the floor. I'm sure you're old enough already to have self confidence to do what you want to do without worrying about what everyone else think, if not then this isn't your hobby. The only place you'll see people not judge you on this hobby are in the hobby stores, even many RR photographers don't even get it.

That's your problem, you are just seeing and basically telling others that you want to roll a wooden thomas the train toy on the floor.

No, not really. I've just used that expression with my wife and she knew I was joking. The couple of other people I've talked to about it, I've said my interest in probably more in the scenery modeling than in the trains.

But yeah, I'm probably a bit self conscious about what others will think, but not nearly as much that way as when I was 21.

Many people won't understand whats behind that though, under modeling conditions it's about small electronics, engineering, landscaping, mechanics, construction, programming and others built into one. All they see is toy trains, which to them is a reference to that of a little kid pushing a cheap plastic toy on a rug

Actually, I'm more concerned with being associated with the cellar-dweller types we see at the LHS and train shows then with being thought of as an immature child playing with trains. (None of those types here on this forum, of course!);)

i think its really funny actually.. i like the reactions from people... im a fully tattooed, 28 year old tattoo artist, and ill be at work adding details to locos, and people who dont know that im into trains look at me like im crazy.... i like what i like:) and dont worry what others think...most people dont realize the time, money and patience that goes into model railroading.

Tatoos or trains...

...the inner discipline of quietly focusing attention on small details is exactly the same.:)

Actually, I'm more concerned with being associated with the cellar-dweller types we see at the LHS and train shows then with being thought of as an immature child playing with trains. (None of those types here on this forum, of course!);)

Gotta plead guilty on that one, Gary... I'm jackhammering under my house like a miner to create a train room. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
All they see is toy trains, which to them is a reference to that of a little kid pushing a cheap plastic toy on a rug

How ironic... I experience the same enjoyment as when I was a little kid pushing cheap plastic toys on the rug. ;)

Gotta plead guilty on that one, Gary... I'm jackhammering under my house like a miner to create a train room. ;)

As weird as that sounds, you're not the kind of Weirdo I was refering to. You know, the non-bathing, needs a life and a change of clothes who can talk endlessly about mindless train details but seems lost in the outside world, above ground? Yeah, THAT one!

I love to tell everyone about this hobby. I try and share as much info as I can, with anyone interested (and some not interested ;) ).

Just yesterday I had to stop into a senior assisted living building to drop off a delivery from my hardware store. I didn't think about it much until I was walking into the lobby. But, I had the idea to start a model railroad club for the residence of the place. I asked the receptionist if such a club existed there and she said no, "Maybe I should go teach boy scouts and cub scouts. These people here are here because they need Assistance". She told me they have a "Yarn Club" and a "Rosary Club"...huh? I was upset about what the lady said. They are people, they need activities to stay alive. They're not dead yet. I'm sure many of them were into trains of some form or another. Why not show them the joy and gratification you get from building your own world. With all the many facets of the hobby, I'm sure many of them would find some interest in the hobby to fulfill their needs and enjoyment. I'm going back to that place and drop off some old Model Railroad magazines I have, and try to talk to a few of the folks there in the dining room. I want to get a feel from THEM, not the receptionist, how they would like the idea.

if im asked what kind of hobbies I have i'll tell them. But like others I dont go around telling them. If I do tell them i get ragged on for it, why, who knows. At work im constantly getting my balls busted about it from everyone. But if 1 person in the ground is with me, they are complimenting me on my work.

Are you careful who you tell about being a model railroader?

The question came up on another forum, following the death of actor Gary Coleman. He was described by one journalist this way: "Like forlorn men everywhere Coleman had an abiding interest in model trains."

While we know that model railroading is interesting, complex and multi-faceted--not "forlorn" at all--many outside the hobby view it as "playing with trains."

I wrote some reflections about this subject on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/ I'm interested in your thoughts and reactions.

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

Coleman may of had an interest in trains, but thgat can't be bad. Anyone ever see singer Rod Stewarts layout that was featured in MR Dec 07? Absolutely awesome!!:D

Back