Are there going to be more Contests?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
This is probably a question for the Admins, but is there going to be any more Photo Contests in the future?

There are a lot of guys on here that are first class with their work and the photography of it. Would be nice to see those guys getting a bit of recognition through a contest :)

As some who is artistically challenged I would like to see a contest as well. Not that I could win or would even enter, but I do admire great art work!

Doing the contest is a lot of work for both the administrator and the people participating. Then on this forum is something I've never understood. It always shows there are hundreds of people on-line viewing the different thread categories, but for that many people there are only about 50 or so who participate, and only a hand full who are what I would call regular participants. I was always disappointed in the very few people who voted on the photo contests.

For example right now it shows 474 people on-line of which 48 are members. But we will not have 48 new posts to the forum today, nor if there was a contest running would 48 people vote. So....????

Last edited by a moderator:
You raise a very good point Iron Horseman, the online numbers don't reflect the participation in the forums. I suppose there maybe some people who feel as though they don't know enough to comment on things, such as I when I first joined. Others may just be looking to get ideas or just out of interest.

Either way, the same would probably occur with photo contests and would probably only involve a handful of participants.

Doing the contest is a lot of work for both the administrator and the people participating. Then on this forum is something I've never understood. It always shows there are hundreds of people on-line viewing the different thread categories, but for that many people there are only about 50 or so who participate, and only a hand full who are what I would call regular participants. I was always disappointed in the very few people who voted on the photo contests.

For example right now it shows 474 people on-line of which 48 are members. But we will not have 48 new posts to the forum today, nor if there was a contest running would 48 people vote. So....????

That sunk my Battleship.

Gents, there's no reason you can't do your own contest. I won't run one because my private life and family takes the majority of my time but I'll talk to Bob about keeping voting results hidden (if possible) until the contest is closed. If it can be done I will do that part of it myself. However Generating the topics will have to come from members of the forum the forum
Cheers
Willis

Many of the forum users shown are web crawlers and bots from search engines. Some forum users are lurkers, some would contribute if they thought they wouldn't get shot down immediately, some are regulars that only post in a few forums.

I'm one that posts to a couple of forums here from time to time. I would love to see the Photo Contests come back. Used to post something almost every month when they were happening....

Having run the contest for a couple of years, I finally ran out of ideas. It is a fair amout of work, as someone mentioned. Still, it would be nice if the contests were back.

Having run the contest for a couple of years, I finally ran out of ideas. It is a fair amout of work, as someone mentioned. Still, it would be nice if the contests were back.

Hmmmm! Do we have a volunteer? :D

Cheers
Willis

I take it that there will be no more photo contests, as there hasn't been a response to this query from the Administration and there has been no response from anyone, since CBCNSfan's (post above) on 7-25-2014!

I take it that there will be no more photo contests, as there hasn't been a response to this query from the Administration and there has been no response from anyone, since CBCNSfan's (post above) on 7-25-2014!

If somebody wants to run them, we can do them. As it is, the staff was underpaid and overworked, so something had to give. A dedicated person doing the contests would be the best way to do it. We could even promote them on FB and hopefully get some activity that way. But none of the existing crew is looking to take on more work.

Modelbob, do you have a run down on how the job is done? I would consider doing this, not saying I will; but, would like to see how much work is involved.

Back