Are the Chinese Watching Us?

beiland

Strange little occurance.

I've been talking and posting about cyro-liquid tank cars lately...
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=275968&postcount=1
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=278044&postcount=10

...and then just the other day I get this solicitation email from a Chinese industrial company...
Attn: Gas cylinder Purchasing depatment,
Dear Sir
Nice to write to you and we are writing to you in the hope of establishing business relations with you in 2013. Our company is established firm with many years experiences in liquid industrial gas sales and manufacturing, our wide range product line include:
1.Cryogenic thermal-insulating cylinder.
2. Cryogenic liquid tank container
3. Cryogenic liquid storage tank
4. Cryogenic liquid lorry tanker

...so I wonder if they picked up on this subject from my forum discussions here....or my googling the subject to gather other info? :confused:

Why not have some fun with them and request some prices? After some back and forth tell them you decided to have them built elsewhere for half the cost. So solly!

google is your friend, man. Mine your data and Internet activity so they can send you ads.

Sent from my Vic20 using JavaMoose

Old news. Yeah is fun to lead people on, until 'they' wake up and realize they've been had... so swory your komputer no workie any more, your mortgage in default akording to wecords, u want wife back-how much money u got? kant u get any more-that not enuf, twy 10x that amount, thwen we talk if u mater any more and not facedown in pool

yeah, I know bad movie script-how do you think somebody came up with that nightmare? they either lived it, or know somebody that has

Welcome to the post 1984 Matrix-have a nice day. Buyer be ware-all sales final, in cash, or hard metals. Gemstones OK too

Most commercial sites on the internet that show the ads in a column to the side, or pop-ups and such, buy in to a service provider that mines your internet searches. It looks at your cookies and URLs, and then tailors your personal ad bulletin board when you reach the site.

This has been going on for a couple of years at least.

Last week I did some searching for prices for a Nikon DSLR. All I see here and elsewhere since then are 'best price for Nikon...' ads in the margins.

I think what's happening here is a little different than mining user cookies and such. This forum is publicly viewable. So they scrape all the posts for content, then check all the profiles of the people who have been posting in them for contact information and anyone who's made their email address available they just add them to a spamming database with keywords from the threads they've posted in.

On top of that, my account password was guessed some time ago and a LOT of my posts were edited to include mini-ads which included a link. I changed my password but didn't clean up the posts. There were hundreds of them.

There's a pretty big user group on this forum now. It might be a good idea to switch to private settings so that threads can only be viewed by users who are logged in. Then require administrator authorization for new accounts. That's what I've done on forums I ran in the past - it was a really good first measure of security.

You HAVE to request to do business with Mr. Chow...LOL...then at the end of each conversation you can say "Toodaloo Motha F.............." HAHAHA

Why not have some fun with them and request some prices? After some back and forth tell them you decided to have them built elsewhere for half the cost. So solly!

or better (least I would do this) go back and fourth a bit then tell them that I decided to have them built else where for half the cost in the USA where your based LOL!!!!

as for the deal with user/forum security, on forums I have ran in the past I have done just that, to minimize the spam mess.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what's happening here is a little different than mining user cookies and such. This forum is publicly viewable. So they scrape all the posts for content, then check all the profiles of the people who have been posting in them for contact information and anyone who's made their email address available they just add them to a spamming database with keywords from the threads they've posted in.
SMILE! You're on Candid Camera!

THEY watch everything, i used to sell rc planes and i would get emails from other companies selling planes or helicopters and they were going right to my phone, not even my computer.

EVERYTHING LIKE JEFF SAID, YOUR ON CANDID CAMERA.

Fast Tracks the maker of those turnouts had a chinese company contact them thru facebook trying to purchase turnouts for the high speed rail construction along with large quantities of wheelsets that fast tracks is working on. How do these companies not know these are for modeling purposes.

Strange little occurrence.....

...and then just the other day I get this solicitation email from a Chinese industrial company...
Attn: Gas cylinder Purchasing department,

Nice to write to you and we are writing to you in the hope of establishing business relations with you in 2013. Our company is established firm with many years experiences in liquid industrial gas sales and manufacturing, our wide range product line include:
1.Cryogenic thermal-insulating cylinder.
2. Cryogenic liquid tank container
3. Cryogenic liquid storage tank
4. Cryogenic liquid lorry tanker

...so I wonder if they picked up on this subject from my forum discussions here....or my googling the subject to gather other info? :confused:

Fast Tracks the maker of those turnouts had a Chinese company contact them thru facebook trying to purchase turnouts for the high speed rail construction along with large quantities of wheelsets that fast tracks is working on. How do these companies not know these are for modeling purposes.

Rather interesting that I brought this subject up just before the major news hits the airwaves that the Chinese Military are operating a major computer/internet spy ring facility in Beijing.

I suspect that some of these young hot Chinese computer guys have never heard of 'model trains', so they do not appreciate that these items are for modeling purposes.

I also participate on a number of boating forums, and I have had a few such similar incidents there.

I wrote a private email to some friends of mine recently suggesting that they be extremely careful about what they post on some of these social websites such as Facebook. Some of those postings could come back to haunt you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember that Google is their friend. All they have to do to get info is the same thing we do. Google, Bing, Yahoo. They probably put in a search term like I just did, I used Railroad Track, and got back 31,100,000 hits! On anything that's a public internet site, its easy to find.

And if you think that social sites like Facebook has super sophisticated encryption, think again.

I don't believe that things like e-mails from Chinese companies are really because they're "spying" on a public site. While I do believe they're hacking most, if not all our big conglomerates, with a public site like this one, just googleing a few key words gets them here.

Back