Are oval shaped train layouts automatically boring?

Oh my low relief are not the best but here for some
BB985240-FD6B-4E97-9D08-B3F0D7587FB5.jpeg
4B70530E-89D2-4F4C-A115-726183B43607.jpeg

this are still a long way from functional but you get the idea

options

Model railroad layouts are interesting or boring by the way they are operated imo. I have a glorified oval layout yet the grandchildren love it and come back time and time again. When I run trains they have a purpose/reason to be running ; either running diesels or steam engines. When the grandchildren run trains they have free reign to operate it their way.
One of my grandchildren loves to operate Clarence Dock as a switching layout. Another grandson loves to operate Crown Point Yard. Leeds Sovereign Street is like a small switching yard. Operate it all together we have great fun.

IMG_4553 by David Harrison, on Flickr

Keep a layout fun and it rewards many times.

David

To me, a 'point to point' design advocate, for the realism it lends, yes, an oval is boring. The same train going round and round is what kills the very dream most have of running a RR (only in miniature)..
Turning facilities on one or both ends via a balloon track, turntable, or wye is how the 1:1 scale sends locos, cars, trains,'back the other way'.
Why not do the same with the model and enjoy performing the duties of operating the model like the real thing ?..
At the same time, I am not here saying that anyone's cup of tea is wrong if it fulfills what they set out to..I am fully aware that many modelers just like to 'watch 'em roll'. That's fine. I am merely supporting my take on MRR planning and ops; my particular bent toward the hobby, what it does for me and how I choose to make it happen in such a way..
🏨 🏭 🛤️☀️🌵

Last edited:

Back