Are Bachmann sd40-2's Any Good?

1991conrail

I'm planning to get some more engines, and one that caught my eye is a bachmann wheeling and lake erie sd40-2. I have a small layout ( 22 inch radius curves ) and at max it would only be pulling about 15 cars.

The newer DCC-ready/DCC on-board SD40-2s from Bachmann run OK, but detail-wise, they're not worth the price.

1991 conrail:

Here's my 2 cents on Bman's HO SD40-2s.

Last year I bought about 10 of these, and wound up keeping 4 (two of these I'd modified so I couldn't return them, and the other two were and still are great - fairly quiet running out of the box and GREAT pullers.)

What was the problem? Wheel chatter, that I literally tried 7 different ways to fix, and failed. ON the other hand, while my hearing is sensitive I've read another poster on another board who likes all of his SD40-2s (and I'm guessing his engines chatter too but it doesn't bother him because he didn't mention it.)

My SD40-2s run easily around my 22" and 19" radius curves.

They come weighing 18 ounces each (vs. Bman's GP30s and 35s at 12 ounces each), and I've added about 4 ounces to each (took out the DCC boards - I run DC only.) With the added weight, and 6 axles, one of these by itself will now walk off with a 65-car train. There is still a very little bit of intermittent wheel chatter (which doesn't bother me) but those eninges run smooth and quiet.

If you buy some remember that they are Bachmann engines and immediately oil the two motor bearings and four worm gear bearings.

Lastly, I am biased toward SD40-2s - they are my all-time favorite diesel locomotives - one reason being that in the late 1970s I braked on the MoPac out of Bismarck MO for 1.5 years, and I rode those engines as headend brakeman many, many times - great pullers, extremely reliable, and very smooth riding.

DougC

If you want a nice SD40-2, get the Athearn RTR. It gives you the most bang for your buck. If you want something equally as nice with slightly better running qualities, get a Kato. The Broadway Limited Imports version is a Kato clone, but also very nice.

The Bachmann model is a budget model with rough details, and a semi-decent drive.

Well i do only have a small layout about equal to a 5x8, and an engine doesn't necessarily have to be an sd40-2, but i need a decent runner, non dcc engine with somewhat good detail for less than $80.00. The thing i was going to do with the bachmann engine is add details to it.

If you want a nice - under $80 - engine consider Atlas or Atlas Trainman. They show up from time to time on HOYardsale & other lists(yahoo groups) for that price or less. Athearn quality is hit or miss lately. Unfortunately Atlas doesn't have an SD40-2.

I think you will find that an Atlas or an Atlas Trainman locomotive will run better than the same or similar model by Bachmann. You can get some good deals on Atlas locomotives if you shop around. We currently have some Atlas Silver Series locomotives on sale for $89.99 and some Atlas TRAINMAN locomotives on sale for $59.99 so good deals can be found.

Best regards,
Brian

The Broadway Limited (as I said before) is a clone of the Kato model. It runs pretty good, and the Paragon 2 has decent sound. (I don't like the sound in the BlueLine version). The internals aren't identical the Kato, but otherwise, is a close second.

The Athearn model can be had for $75 or less. It has see-thru fans, metal grab irons, and prototype specific details; all of which the BLI and Kato models do not.

I have a fairly large and diverse fleet, and own at least 2 of every manufacturer's SD40-2 from the last 20 years. I even have a pair of GSB SD40-2's. The best running is Kato, the best looking is Broadway (mainly because all the stuff Kato puts in the box for you to install, BLI has already done). The cheapest is Bachmann. My two Bachmanns are hangar queens, the rest are in weekly use, including the pair of Athearn RTR's. If you can get the Athearn linked above for less than $75 ending bid, it would be a good price, they list at $99-109.

They just did, or are in the process of doing another run of them.

Being in high demand they most likely will raise the the price on a new production like everyone else does. As the world turns. I am selling most of my collection due to health reasons, breaks my heart but need to do what we need to do.

I have to go with diburning. I bought a Bachmann SD40-2 in the CSX Yn3 paint scheme only because no one else made one. Its a DC only model that I picked up for $40 new on Ebay.
Glad I only paid $40 bucks for it. :eek:
Not very well detailed, requires twice the throttle to pull the same amount of cars as any of my Athearn RTR. Very noisy runner and a pain to work on. My Athearn units are easy to disassemble and maintain. The Bachmann worm gear housings are so difficult to unclip I gave up for fear of breaking them. All the wire connections are soldered which also makes disassembly more difficult. I am about to make this thing a dummy loco:(
I say this not from a lack of skill. I install electronics and accessories on vehicles for a living going on 17 years. Dismantling and putting back together anything from the most intricate interior parts to swapping major components.
The Athearn or the Atlas locomotives are very nice units for a good price. Try checking out Modelrailcraft.com If you call over there you will speak to Jeff the owner. Great guy, very knowledgable, and his prices cant be beat. Tell him "Steve from New Jersey" sent you over.
This is where I get most of my stuff. The rest I hunt for on Ebay.

Back