Arduino ideas, and help

migalyto

Several of us were discussing Arduino, and decided to start a thread to discuss ideas. So if you have ideas, questions, or can offer technical help to those of us that are electronic challenged can get help here. This is open to all discussion, so don't feel there will be thread derailment. It can be all of ours for discussion. Sounds like the possibilities are unlimited with this. So lets hear all of your thoughts. Even if your an expert, feel free to chime in, and share some tips or tricks.

Last edited:
Here are my two inquiries:
1. I have the Arduino set up to run two servos for my peco turnouts. For the life of me I can't get the sketch coding correct to control the speed of the servos.

2. I want to use the Arduino as a Loconet booster for the layout. I currently run my HO ceiling track and my N scale layout off of the Digitrax DCS 50 and DTS500D. By using the Loconet, I can still use the Digitrax system to control the layout without drawing all the amps leaving that for the ceiling track. I know the Tam Valley Depot booster will take the Loconet Railsync signal so that means the Arduino should be able to do it no problem.

Several of us were discussing Arduino, and decided to start a thread to discuss ideas. So if you have ideas, questions, or can offer technical help to those of us that are electronic challenged can get help here. This is open to all discussion, so don't feel there will be thread derailment. It can be all of ours for discussion. Sounds like the possibilities are unlimited with this. So lets hear all of your thoughts.
I do intent to go with DCC++. The prices of Arduino boards vs the 'off the shelf' DCC and versatility to control servos for turnouts intrigues me..... Dead rail is a possibility too.

I do intent to go with DCC++. The prices of Arduino boards vs the 'off the shelf' DCC and versatility to control servos for turnouts intrigues me..... Dead rail is a possibility too.
I used his sketch and set up to control my entire layout from my computer just to try it out. Pretty impressive.

Thanks Olie,

That's good stuff there! This has the possibility to be another hobby within the hobby. I can see my wife rolling her eyes now. Looks like Amazon carries a bunch of Arduino stuff. This will be fun to tinker with while stuck inside during the harsh Midwest winters.
LOL, my wife has that look down perfectly!! Just be careful with the Amazon stuff. So many different manufacturers and almost all of it is made in China. Can be hit or miss.

I used his sketch and set up to control my entire layout from my computer just to try it out. Pretty impressive.
I have yet to lay a single foot of track..(got a couple bench modules tho) Will be paying close attention when wiring, etc.. commences.

AH, you have to write code for this stuff??

I wish I knew tony, Im like you.....starting from ground zero. What has always intruged me about this is the amazing things that are being done in model railroading with this. I have much more reading to do on the subject, but hopefully we can all learn together.

Not necessary. There are oodles of 'sketches' already written and available to download. Simply(sic) modify them to fit your needs.

Ok for my first lesson: Is as sketch the code, or program that make the controller do the outputs on the layout? how is it installed, and do you need a computer by the layout for this? Sorry, but I have a million questions!

Simply(sic) modify them to fit your needs.
Which raises another question - in simple terms though - how do you modify something when you don't know what it is that needs modifying? Rhetorical question.

Terminology would be the first stumbling block for me, knowing what such and such meant. When I asked about a dictionary for translating Arduino Language into plain English, I was being semi serious. If the terminology isn't clear, then anything said will be meaningless.

As Mike said - lots of reading to do ....

Mike, It appears as though it has it's own software and it is that software that is used to insert and modify the code (the sketch) and what makes everything work. The software (code/sketch) is what tells the hardware what to do. Looks as though you need to be computer literate (for the coding/sketching) as well as electronically literate to hook everything up.

If that is right then yep - your going to need a computer of some type close by I would think.

Ok for my first lesson: Is as sketch the code, or program that make the controller do the outputs on the layout? how is it installed, and do you need a computer by the layout for this? Sorry, but I have a million questions!
I'm pretty much a novice on the subject, but I'll try..
Sketch IS the code/instructions for the controller-Arduino. The Arduino web site has a whole library of basic sketchs.. ALL open source. Can be modified freely without impugning copy-right. the Arduino (Uno, Mega, Nano, etc..) board controls the devices directly if possible, or other boards that will take up the task. In the DCC++ control, the Arduino converts basic DC frequency to square wave signal the DCC decorders need, but it is only 5 volts The Motor shield allows a step-up in voltage/current to power the track.
A computer is only necessary to load the sketch into the Arduino. After that, the controller is stand alone, taking inputs from sensors, and issuing commands to the outputs... servos, lighting, locomotives.

Back