Applying dirt

Marlin39

What is the most effective method for securing dirt. Matte medium or paint first, then dirt, or dirt, then spray matte medium?

Thanks

It may depend on what you are sticking it to.

I found that when using a wood or sheet rock mud, wetting the ground first with Scenic Cement (or homemade glue water soap mixture), then sprinkling the dry dirt evenly.

I follow up with a spray mist of the glue mixture.

Not sure what works if you are adhering to foam.

I often use a coffee strainer to sift the dirt through helps make it more even.

May take some trial and error. Easy and cheap to redo if necessary.

If onto plywood or foam, and there's lots of organic matter and not just small grit, I just make a thin 'lake' of wood glue. Sprinkle the dirt liberally and let it dry. Paint works well as an adhesive. Look in the 'oops' section of the local hardware. I think I have several gallons of oops paints on hand by now that should last me to my 21st layout when I'm 187.

Apply the ground cover while the surface is not angled or vertical. Or, if it can't be helped (I make hilly terrain out of 'ground goop', a mixture of Portland Cement, Plaster of Paris, fine-ground vermiculite, and at least two masonry dye powder pinches added before adding water. I mix about two pints at a time and slather it over hot-glued window screen material.), spritz glue mix over the surface, and blow...literally purse your lips and gently blow...ground foam off of a pie plate or a slightly creased, V-shaped, bit of cardboard.

When I don't want to do this, even if just to switch it up a bit, I'll make a removable module frame of scenery, often a mountain under which is part of staging or something, and when I go to add the greenery, I take it outside, prop it up so that the angled or vertical surfaces are mostly level, and drop ground foam onto the pre-glued surface. This can't be done in all conditions, as you would have guessed, but on some days it is doable. Otherwise, on the floor of the train room and have your shop vac handy.

One way to adhere real dirt is to paint the surface with brown latex (or oil paint). Sprinkle dry sifted soil onto the still wet paint..If this is what you are asking...

Back