Anyone with experience with Flexxbed Scale?

chuckfinley

Hobby Innovations makes a vinyl roadbed. I have a case of it. Anyone with experience with it?

From their site:
Superior Sound Absorption
Flexxbed Vinyl Roadbed reduces vibrations & noise and allows for much quieter layout operation than conventional roadbed materials

E-Z to Install

• Curves in one piece. No relief cuts along the edge or slit down the center
  • Roadbed and sheet material cut easily with sharp scissors or a utility knife
  • Fastens to bench work with: screws, brads, staples, or an adhesive of your choice
  • No sanding, filling of grooves, or sealing needed
  • Compatible with popular methods of ballasting

Dimensional Stability
Temperature & humidity changes do not affect the size, shape, or thickness of Flexxbed. It will not shrink, warp, harder or swell. Tough & durable, it can be used indoors or out
https://hobbyinnovations.com/photo-gallery#1a98bc4c-62a3-4708-864b-1edc89e5375f

I've redesigned the plans and I may not have enough of it, and may have to order more, but I'd like to know it is worth working with, and any special tips.

I have used it on my entire mainline. Its great stuff. I use latex caulking to glue it done to the sub roadbed. No need to cut it to go around curves. I use a stamp roller to make sure that sticks firmly in place. It doesn't absorb glue so it still has its flexibility even after ballasting.

It is a bit pricier than cork but it doesn't disintegrate over time like I have seen cork do. Temperature and humidity really don't affect it. The wood underneath will move more than the roadbed. I like that it is gray as well so even if a bit of ballast comes loose the roadbed isn't distracting.

I know of several other layouts have used it as well and find it really easy to use.

Dude! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. All the reasons that I have been looking to use it.

I'm practicing with it with some under layout storage. Seems to do very well.

Back