Anyone want a project? layout design.

mburn16

Well, I have tried to design my own layout - with little success. Now, I'm wondering if anyone on here wants to take a shot at it. The room is 10' x 16', with no doors, windows, pipes, etc. to worry about. even if you only want to design a section, that would be a big help for me.

thanks!

If I or anyone else here were to design a lyout for you, it would meet our specifications not your's because you have not told us what you want.

Take a second to read the Beginner's Guide clickable from my signature. IT will take about 5 minutes.

Then take an hour or so and build in your mind a vision of what you would like to see in a layout. Write these things down. Then when you have this vision established, we can pick your brain for the details.

Here we go again.:D :rolleyes:

We need to know what your interests are, the scale, era, region, etc,etc

Most importantly, it should be from your imagination mostly... after all you'll have to live with and operate the layout.

Please help us by providing some info.

Choke

Here's what I came up with so far.

Can anyone add anything?

View attachment 7264

Ok... I think we're done.
Start laying track.:p

Edit: Oops, I meant "joke" in the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol.

by "no door", I mean that there is no swinging door that requires room to open. Its a basement room that has, essentially, 3 1/2 walls - with half of one wall and open area to get into/out of the room.

Thanks again for your help guys!

I think there are quite a few questions he needs to answer. He needs to do his work before we can do ours. I admit I don't have a lot of patience when someone asks for help, then doesn't log on for a while, choses to answer one question out of twenty to respond to, then disappears again.

it would help. point-to-point, loop-to-loop, out-and-back, multi-level or single level? how long will the trains be? should there be a classification yard and engine facilities?

I like looking at house plans, so when I win the Ginormous Lotto, I have something to spend some of the money on. At any rate, the Sunday paper generally features a houseplan in the Homes section. This weekend, they had one that had a room above the garage, with a stairwell coming in along one wall.

Now, I normally look at plans with basements, because that's the traditional location for our empires. But, for some reason, I was looking at the possibilities of the room above the garage.

Size aside, I was considering how you get into the center of the layout, and it occurred to me that you can run the track all the way around the end of the wall, over the stairwell. So, you do have a duckunder, but you're not really ducking because the stairs will do the ducking for you! Would be clever, since all you need is single track in that area (2"?) along the stairwell (which some folks do already, in the stairlwell going down into the basement), with the curve above the doorway at the bottom of the stairs.

Kennedy

I agree with Chips's answer!
I admit I don't have a lot of patience when someone asks for help, then doesn't log on for a while, choses to answer one question out of twenty to respond to, then disappears again.
Did that once...almost=(

Jos

-

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave so many unanswered questions.

I would prefer to have the tains run constantly, which would mean a loop-to-loop setup, but I don't want the appearance of a train chasing its own tail, and that is the more important thing. If I can't have both, I don't want to watch an engine chase its caboose.

I would like a yard, though it does not need to be a super-massive one, just a couple of tracks or so. I want yard operations to be part of the operations, but not the main focus. I do not need engine facilities.

About duck-unders, I know they can be a pain, and would prefer not to have them, but I understand that you can only do so much with a space if you require open-isles. Feel free to indude them.

About train length, nothing too long, I don't really plan on running more than 10 cars to a train, with the primary cars being box cars and things of similar length, probably in the 40-50 ft. range.

anything else you need, let me know. Sorry again for letting so many questions go unanswered.

matt.

Hey guys, thanks again for the help.

Just out of curiosity, which of you is working on something? Not to rush you, just wondering who I can expect replies from.

Did I overlooked something.....because we still don't know the scale??
I , O , HO, N, or Z
And did you already read some mrrstuff on internet about how to create/design/make a mrr( Like on the website of Chip: SpaceMouse)
Do you have already more ideas of what you realy want??

Jos

Back