Anyone try ordering from the PORTERS system by PWRS?

Pacific Western Rail Systems has this thing called PORTERS. I guess its basically like an online hobby shop but has a lot of other features added in as well. At a WGH show here locally a few years ago, the owner was in town with thier booth and was talking about this and was nearly giving the hard sell, likely because I was an exhibitor as well. But it did sound intriguing. Especially if the prices were as good as he was telling me they were. Here is a link to thier explaination of it.

http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=1956

Anyone ever try ordering from this?

Im a member of it. Dont really use it much. Bought about 6 items on sale about 1 1/2 ago and havent bought from it since. Their prices are not that good although the items I bought back then have since been found elsewhere at a much higher price. They give maybe 5-10% off mrsp if you pre-order and the rest of the time its mrsp unless they have a sale. The major advantage is to be able to put things in one order over time and ship it all at once (they call it a goodie box). They have a sales and reservation site and it allows you to go through and make reservations for things you want. You are supposed to go through the entire catalog of items and click 'yes, no, or maybe.' I dont have time to do that for thousands of items, but that's the way they want you to use the system to get the most out of it. I use their site mostly for new product updates as they send an email about once every 2 weeks when their is some new HO announcements, and they have a page that is a New Announcements page. The search function is nice for looking for obscure releases of products from awhile ago to find a picture of an item. They largely cater to Canadian MRRers and their site is impressive and useful. But overall, I rarely order from them and would give it 2/5 stars overall.

Back