anyone recognize this....

BCK RR

All,

Anyone here recognize this Rail Line Herald?

BCK RR

BCK RR HERALDJPG.gif

I think it was an industrial switching road on the Buffalo (NY) harbor. Either that, or Buffalo Creek and Gauley in WV, but I thought they hauled coal, not flour. As I recall, the road of your herald, had a rather large 'grain elevator' on the harbor in Buffalo, that was active into the 1960's or 70's, from what I've seen in the past.

The web has some info about the Buffalo Creek (BCK) railroad (use Google) and quite a few photos of locos and rolling stock. The Buffalo Creek served Buffalo, New York's grain elevator and mill district. The road went out of existence in 1983.

Links to a bunch of photos (scroll to near the bottom of the page):
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-b/misc-b.html

Not to be confused with the Buffalo Creek & Gauley RR!

- Jeff

Back in 1982, in the offices of the Tidewater Grain Company, of Philadelphia, was a large photo of the PRR Girard Point Grain Elevator in the 1950s, all 12 tracks were loaded with BCK Boxcars loaded with export grain. One of many artifacts I regret not liberating.

The Buffalo Creek was a jointly owned terminal company that served the Grain elevators along the Buffalo grain front. Back in the day, most grain moved in box cars. The Buffalo Creek was hurt by Unit Train movement of grain directly from the prairie to tidewater in Unit trains, that cut out intermediate transloading and middlemen. Also, most of the joint owners, became part of Conrail.

Used to see BCK Box cars at Scott Paper, Chester, PA (PRR/PC-RDG), as they were clean cars for paper loading, during the grain off season.

Back