Anyone Own A Tower 55 Loco?

B_Kosanda

I ordered a Tower 55 SD70aCe loco the other day. Does anyone here own a Tower 55 loco and could make a comment on it?

Bill

I don't but am STILL trying to save to get one. I got a new job so I can fiannly get mine!

BUT I've heard nothing but good!

I have one of the UP ES44AC's, and I love it! By far one of the best products on the market. Details are by far the best of any manufacturer, and I think the sound is pretty good as well.

Don't expect to see the SD70ACe's for a few months, possibly more.

Sean

My buddy brought a BNSF Gevo over. Absolutely a beuatiful model, but it doesn't run. The only thing we can get to operate is the headlights. He has already sent it back once. There is obviously a problem with the decoder, but I think the manufacturer did not offer very good service for his problem.
The bottom line, he has a beautiful loco that sits in the box and doesn't run. I will not buy one because of this.
My opinion as a model RR consumer.

Don't expect to see the SD70ACe's for a few months, possibly more.
Definately. They haven't even released the ES44AC in BNSF/CP yet, and those are very similar to the ES44DC. If one was to buy a Tower 55 unit, I would suggest to buy one of the ES44ACs because they are the second run and should have all the bugs that the first release had worked out.
I've worked with and ran Tower 55 locomotives and they are great locomotives to look at. Internally however, the locomotive needed a lot of DCC programming to make it operate prototypically. This included ditch light work, to prevent the ditch lights from blinking continusouly, and programming so the locomotive's sound wouldn't shut off the moment the locomotive was completely stopped. But I can't argue with the detail, it is fantastic.

For anyone thats interested and/or have ordered a CP ES44AC from T55. I emailed Brian Marsh at T55 and they have moved the ETA for the CP ES44AC's to Fall 2007. Also the price has been increased to $350 from $300.
This new ETA kinda pisses me off, I really really really want my CP ES44AC... right now! :D

Everything has been pushed back, and the BNSF SD70ACe's have been switched to low head lights, I wish they'd do both, and get to work, are new paint schemes that much that they can take 8 months to do?

...are new paint schemes that much that they can take 8 months to do?

If they require multiple paint masks, yes, they can. Masks are extremely expensive and time consuming (not to mention difficult) to construct and get just right. These aren't simple cardboard and/or tape masks...production paint masks are cast/machined metal and have to be shaped in such a way as to work over details like grabs without damaging them, and sink into details like vents, to achieve a consistently crisp paint line over the course of hundreds or even thousands of units. If a mask has to cover multiple surfaces, say to paint the roof a different color, they are usually pneumatically operated to close around all sides of the model, so the operator doesn't have to touch the mask and risk getting paint on his/her hands and later transfer his/her fingerprints to the model.

If they require multiple paint masks, yes, they can. Masks are extremely expensive and time consuming (not to mention difficult) to construct and get just right. These aren't simple cardboard and/or tape masks...production paint masks are cast/machined metal and have to be shaped in such a way as to work over details like grabs without damaging them, and sink into details like vents, to achieve a consistently crisp paint line over the course of hundreds or even thousands of units. If a mask has to cover multiple surfaces, say to paint the roof a different color, they are usually pneumatically operated to close around all sides of the model, so the operator doesn't have to touch the mask and risk getting paint on his/her hands and later transfer his/her fingerprints to the model.
Thanks for that tidbit Nate, I hadn't thought of it that way.

I ordered my SD70ACE a couple months ago from my local hobby shop. How long can they be expected to keep my order? Geesh, at this rate it could be more than 2 years before I see the locomotive. And who knows what price they will expect to extract from me.

Bill

How long can they be expected to keep my order? Geesh, at this rate it could be more than 2 years before I see the locomotive. And who knows what price they will expect to extract from me.

As much as it is a pain for the modeler, it's an even bigger pain for the dealer. It's just more information they have to keep straight (and in the case of credit cards, safe). Pushing the delivery date back means changing the dates on the website, etc., and emailing customers who have already placed orders to let them know they loco they were expecting last year is another eight months off. If they're like me, they also contact each customer to let them know of the price change, and give them the option to take it or leave it. In the case of a customer leaving it, the dealer is now stuck with a very expensive locomotive to try to sell.

I'm going through the same thing with some Atlas locos that were due in January. I've had customers asking where they are (which they certainly have the right to do), but I don't really have any answers. I finally found out from my supplier that they are now due in April/May.

I appreciate it when manufacturers estimate a little late, and either deliver a little early, or, if they run into problems, have a cushion to still make the expected delivery date.

Nate,
I understand your fellings here. I have no intention of screwing my hobby shop owner. He's been really great to me and I would return the favor. I'll bet that some of the customers for these locos will disappear by the time the orders come in, but I bet these units can be sold fairly easily.

Bill

Nate,
I understand your fellings here. I have no intention of screwing my hobby shop owner. He's been really great to me and I would return the favor. I'll bet that some of the customers for these locos will disappear by the time the orders come in, but I bet these units can be sold fairly easily.

Bill

I have nothing against the customer...it's not their fault, even if they do cancel. It's the fault of the manufacturer. In an effort to turn their products into cash as fast as possible, the manufacturers create cash flow problems for everyone else.

well I have not ordered one yet but will wait until the release...

on another point though...wouldnt it be real cool to tour a facility that made these locos? I mean really I would find it interesting to see how these models come to life. just a thought...

Then you will have a huge pile of folks clamoring for more info, as to when the danged thing is going to be released!

Manufacturers can't win. We whine when they miss the release date, and we whine when they don't give us a release date.

Kennedy

Then you will have a huge pile of folks clamoring for more info, as to when the danged thing is going to be released!

Manufacturers can't win. We whine when they miss the release date, and we whine when they don't give us a release date.

Kennedy
I ment, in the way of, don't tell us its coming until its set in stone!

Back