Anyone opened up an HO P2K/Walthers 0-8-0?

skyliner

Hey all, I recently found a shop that still had a new HO Walthers/P2K Heritage 0-8-0 in stock, so I jumped on it. The loco is very nice, decent sound, and runs pretty well--but is just a little jerky mostly at low speeds. I'd like to get inside and check the worm gears and lubricate if necessary (I figure it's likely been sitting on the shelf for at least a few years), but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to get the shell off.

The instruction manual that came with it, is unfortunately not much help; I've tried what it says, and it doesn't work. Looking online, I can only find a very limited amount of info on these locomotives. I have opened and worked on plenty of diesels, but my steam experience is limited, with only a couple BLI steamers in the barn. I'm frankly afraid of damaging something on this 0-8-0 by grabbing or pulling the wrong thing.

Anyone have experience working on one of these? Thanks much in advance.

Oh and here's a picture for those who need the visual aspect.

42325951650_09c22ae419_o.jpg

I can't help you with info on this particular loco, but my experience with others (all diesels also) is that frequently the problem is to do with other factors e.g. shells that have been assembled to frames before the paint on internal bits wasn't fully dry and in the case of 3 Athearn SD40's, the sticky tape securing the wiring to the ditch lights onto the frame, also sticking to the shell as well. So.. even following the instructions wasn't of any help.

On most steamers I have opened up, there has been a screw down the smokestack and a couple under the cab. I really don't know the specifics on the P2K locos though.

Hey all, I recently found a shop that still had a new HO Walthers/P2K Heritage 0-8-0 in stock, so I jumped on it. The loco is very nice, decent sound, and runs pretty well--but is just a little jerky mostly at low speeds. I'd like to get inside and check the worm gears and lubricate if necessary (I figure it's likely been sitting on the shelf for at least a few years), but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to get the shell off.
I have several of them. It is almost impossible to get the shell off without breaking things, unless one removes the detail piping first. Especially the piping that goes into the top of the cab. Unfortuantely I don't remember much more than that because its been years and years since I worked on them (installing dcc). I do remember that I had to write to Walther's and ask for help and don't recall them being particularly helpful.

Do you know which run this is from? The first run has power pick up problems. I discovered that mine was only picking up on one front driver (the 2nd from rear one), and one half of the tender wheels. To fix it I replace the tender trucks/wheels with the trucks/wheels from the much later run 0-6-0 that picks up from all 8 wheels. Didn't have to open the shell to fix that. Could fix the jerky engine without "going into it".

In fact this is the first loco I performed that operation on. Used to be a Canadian Pacific - can't tell from the picture but the four pipes going into the cap at the top of the boiler are messed up.
index.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses thus far, everyone. Yes, this is a second-run version, it has full tender pick-up. Overall, it actually runs pretty good-- you can't even notice any jerkiness unless you look really closely at certain speeds. And to be honest, part of that might be due to the traction tires. I was interested in getting at the worm gear because I read elsewhere someone opened one of these up and found it almost completely dry. Plus, I've also had some experience with P2K locos' factory lubrication solidifying over the years and causing poor running.

If anything, it's reassuring to know that this locomotive is difficult to work on, and it's not just me. ;)

This post reminds me that I have a Bachmann Spectrum 0-8-0 that I need to install DCC and sound. All the work is done in the tender so the body isn't an issue. Great detail on the locomotive. The sound decoder is a early SoundTrax and speaker.

This locomotive is a great runner at slow speeds on DC and I hope it runs equally well on DCC. It's a Northern Pacific and out of place on my layout do to the era of the locomotive. May just have to sell the critter and buy a diesel. We'll see.

Good point skyliner on the lube hardening over time on the P2K models. I have a friend who would disassemble very new P2K locomotive and clean the gears in alcohol and lightly lube only where the brass worm gear met the plastic gear(s). He would also use Conduct a-Lube on the motor bushings. The locomotive(s) ran very smooth and silent.

Greg

Skyliner,
Did you get it opened? Did you get it re-lubed?

No, not yet. Work and other stuff has kept me a bit busy lately, so unfortunately it's not too high on my priority list at the moment. I'll report back when I get around to it, and if I encounter any other issues.

Back