Anyone like Proto Pics?

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
LGM and I went on a little railfanning trip around town this afternoon. For anyone that isn't familiar with Birmingham, we have a rich RR and industrial history.

BNSF power rolls thru the interlocking by historic Sloss Furnaces. The 27th street interlocking tower (behind us) is still manned today.
117504996.gif

Old signal remains beside a building. The tracks are still in the weeds... This spur was on the Southern RR (I think). The interlocking tower is in the background.
117504981.gif

Side view...
117505013.gif

This old signal (close to the one previously shown) is on the same spur. It protected what I believe was the SCL track that crossed the spur and the main tracks of the interlocking.
117504992.gif

UP SD70M MUed with a NS SD60 and a UP Dash 9 moving light past the tower.
117505019.gif

This shot was taken a few blocks away. I thought it would provide some interesting modeling...
117505003.gif

Did I tell ya'll lately that we LOVE trains??? :D

Eric,

I've been to B'ham several times [my wife's sister lives in Pell City], always love getting as close as possible to those industrial sites. Toured the Sloss furnaces, drove thru USX Fairfield Works. Wish I'd had my digital camera back then...

Eric:

There are distinct advantages worling 'bout 3 mile from throat of Norris Yard and having an hour for lunch.

Uuuhhh...didn't ya say ya like tunnel motors?

Cjcrescent said:
Eric:

There are distinct advantages worling 'bout 3 mile from throat of Norris Yard and having an hour for lunch.

Uuuhhh...didn't ya say ya like tunnel motors?

Great pics Carey!!! I see Larry (LTEX owner) painted one of the 40T-2's plain black. :rolleyes: I like the one in KCS paint. Wonder if it's an SP or Grande original???

LGM has gone to work with me for the past two days. Today his Mom and Sis were going to town, and yesterday his Granddad came over to go to the LHS at lunch (he wouldn't have missed that for anything, even a 5AM wake up :D ). The boss has been on the road alot this week. Some of the lunch breaks have been almost unlimited. :D (Actually, the boss could care less if his airplane is ready to go when he gets in it.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back