Anyone know who made this?

fairbro

Searched, and even partially disassembled the 4-4-2 but can not find any manufacturer mark on the locomotive or tender. It came with a set of Chicago and Northwestern passenger cars, which I believe were made by Roundhouse. But the loco seems like a different style, even though the decals are also Chicago and Northwestern. Any ideas? The engineer in the cab is different, for one thing...

IMG_6452.JPGIMG_6453.JPGIMG_6455.JPGIMG_6456.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like an MDC Roundhouse Atlantic. These were released as kits. The cast frame and tender floor are a strong indicator. Less blurry pics would help.

Yes, you nailed it. The "skylines" are nearly identical, and underneath, too. What does MDC stand for?

If you look at the leading truck you'll see journal points on the axles. You were supposed to file those flat according to the kit instructions. They were good runners if you did everything like they told you, and with those Zamac boilers they could pull the plaster off the wall!

It was inert when I put it on the track. I pushed down on it, and helped it back and forth a couple of times, then it started running fine.

Back