anyone have a european (Roco, Fleischmann)DCC layout?

lovenox

I am interested in putting together a simple started DCC layout to run european trains. I live in US and haven't found much resources for Americans having european train layouts.

I am considering getting Roco or Fleischmann trains and possibly their track.
I want this to be DCC.
Marklin makes great trains and control systems, but I don't want to mess with the AC power requirements.
Or can I buy for example bachmann ez-track and run these trains?
Who has better controlers (Roco or Fleischmann)?

Roco: http://www.roco.cc/en/home/index.html
Fleischmann: https://www.fleischmann.de/en/home/index.html

Any advice for how to start out would be appreciated.

I have an HO European themed switching layout that is 1'x14'. I have three Roco locomotives and one Piko locomotive and 10 pieces of rolling stock from a couple of manufacturers. All of my locos have ESU Loksound decoders, two are v4 and two are v2, I think. The v2s were in the locos when I bought them- new old stock at a shop that had bought out another shop. The v4s are in two new locos one Roco & the Piko that I installed. All run very well and the ESU sound is superb. All the locos and rolling stock have been converted to Kadee couplers (#15,16 & 17 all fit into the NEM coupler pockets found on most European stuff).
The layout is powered by an NCE Powercab and it is connected to a computer running JMRI so I can also use cell phone throttles if I want. I am using some old code 100 flex track and Atlas & Peco turnouts that I had sitting around from an old HO layout.
Roco & Fleischmann track systems are both good. I'm not sure of their pricing. One other way to go would be code 83 ME, Peco or Atlas track which are all readily available here in the states.
Putting DCC decoders into modern locos is generally easy as the Euro manufacturers generally have adopted 8 pin or 21 pin DCC plugs. As I said the ESU decoders are great, have the correct sound profiles for Euro locos and are readily available here in the states.
There are two major vendors for Euro rolling stock & locos in the states that I know of. Just do a google search for Roco and you'll find them. Also check eBay. I have bought stuff from sellers both here in the states and in Europe. I'd be careful ordering from some countries and watch out for exorbitant shipping costs.
One last thing, Marklin stuff is great but remember if you are running DCC or DC you'll have to change the wheel sets to insulated wheel sets as the Marlin wheel sets will short DCC & DC.
Hope this helps,
Dave

Trix is the DC version of Marklin. I have locos from Brawa, Fleischmann, Hornby, Lilliput, Micro Metakit, Piko, Roco and Trix.

My layout is based on the B&O BUT if I like a European model I get it just for the enjoyment.

Roco makes a nice DCC Command station the Z21 - that is what I use on my layout.

Frederick

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to expand a little on what Frederick just said, Trix is Marklin's 2 rail DC, DCC capable brand. One of the members at my club here in Australia has a beautiful Alco PA/PB set that he installed Loksound decoders and speakers into. He also has a Big Boy steamer of the same make as well, similarly Loksound equipped. The Club uses NCE DCC as it's control system. He uses the V4 decoders and has the Loksound Programmer to download the sound files to them via "The Net".

If i am not mistaken Roco and Fleischmann have the same controllers (multimaus, Z21 etc.). I for one, plan to have the Z21 as my future/next control system, (thanks for the good advises Frederick (fcwilt)). Currently i am using a Marklin Mobile Station controller (leftover from a marklin starter set i bought) with DCC with US prototypes (Kato, Walthers etc...) and it runs fine. You could also check out ESU's EcOS 50200 controller if interested.

tootnkumin, pm inbound :)

Back