Anyone have a Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0 w/DCC & Sound?

N

NP2626

Simple enough question, Does anyone own a HO Bachmann Baldwin 4-6-0 equipped with DCC & Sound? If so what do you think of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I expected a few more replies. I am pretty certain I have at least two, but I have never had either out of the box so cannot comment. It does not have the uneven driver arrangement needed for a Petticoat Junction layout.

The Petticoat Junction locomotive has the front two drivers pretty close together but the third is way back under the cab. The Tyco model is perfect for Petticoat junction.
A standard 4-6-0 with even driver spacing.
wat42.jpg

A rear driver "thrown back" 4-6-0 with uneven spacing. Petticoat Junction style. The Louisville and Wadley had both types.
louisville.and.wadley.rr.jpg

Prairie class locos also came in both configurations. I have no idea why other than distribution of firebox weight that would normally be carried on a trailing truck?

Hmmm, not many still photos of the Hooterville Cannon Ball. Mostly just video captures that are horrible. I had thoughts of modeling the C&FW at one time. You can tell the funnel stack is just a shroud around the real stack.
22894055_1020007804805874_5669596842118160724_n.jpg

Last edited:
Not much help to me; but, why in the song about Casey Jones do they call the locomotive a 6-8 wheeler, Everyone knows it was a really good looking
Ten Wheeler!

casey638.gif

#638 of the Illinois Central Railroad. Casey's regular mount, a 2-8-0!.

HPIM8117 (1).JPG

#1368 of the Northern Pacific RR. People have mentioned that the gray undercarriage, wheels and cylinders of the above locomotive do not look right. It is a factor of the photograph as in real life. The gray color is actually Grimy Black while the boiler and cab are Engine Black. I'm still attempting to get the locomotive to run correctly, before I weather it. Anyway, these are my addition to photos of Ten Wheelers!

Yes, quite hard to find clear photos. Those are good. I suppose the reason for the arrangement was a choice between having a trailing truck which provided only weight support and the connected driver that did both and not enough power to warrant a 4-8-0. Why not a Pacific is possibly because the track curvatures being used didn't require a shorter driver wheelbase. Lots of experimentation going on at that time.

Not much help to me;
I know, but maybe if we keep the thread active someone who knows will come along.

I'm still attempting to get the locomotive to run correctly, before I weather it.
Is that a Roundhouse Kit? I fought a Roundhouse 2-8-0 kit for months and never got it to run right. Re-motored, re-geared, polished the drive wheel slots, added pick up shoes, both rail pick up from the tender, etc. Nothing made it run "well".

I have this engine and it's a little gem ! Smooth running, lots of detail, metal boiler and cab (Not 100% sure/not at home). You didn't say what scale. Mine is HO... There are heavy 4-6-0s w/large drivers and earlier small types with smaller boilers and drivers..Mine is the earlier type and is probably what you are asking about...They really are beauties. Very well made..
I'd say the top photo is closest to the BMann.

NP2626 What are you saying ? Never heard anything related to KC Jones' locos as being (what ? ) 6-8 ?!
Story goes he usually was a Connie, 2-8-0 engineer. But the night he died he had been assigned to a 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler....on the IC...

why in the song about Casey Jones do they call the locomotive a 6-8 wheeler,
Had to go and listen to the song. I have no idea what they mean by that. Maybe the song writers just used a number that fit the music they wanted.

Last edited:
NP2626 What are you saying ? Never heard anything related to KC Jones' locos as being (what ? ) 6-8 ?!
Story goes he usually was a Connie, 2-8-0 engineer. But the night he died he had been assigned to a 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler....on the IC...

I had always thought that the #382 10 Wheeler was his regular mount. I have read a little of his history; but, am not certain of anything in particular. Turns out you are right #638, a Consolidation was his regular locomotive. Not to delve to deeply into Casey Jones' life, I was looking for a review of the Bachmann ten Wheeler.

Here is the song as sung by Billy Murray:

The only thing that the lyrics referred might have been the diameter of the drivers, 6 ft, 8 inches, which would be 80 inches in diameter, which would have been right for a high-stepping passenger locomotive in those days!

The only thing that the lyrics referred might have been the diameter of the drivers, 6 ft, 8 inches, which would be 80 inches in diameter, which would have been right for a high-stepping passenger locomotive in those days!

Sounds reasonable; however, not really how locomotives were described. You could talk me into it being simply for the song.

TUESDAY 7:18 PM << I even stated this yesterday 2:20 PM !

Oh, that was a review? Like Sirfoldalot has stated here many times: "If there isn't a photo, it doesn't exist"! In fact, I took your"Review" to be somewhat bogus, as you said the cab and boiler are metal when I'm pretty sure they are plastic. Also, I know Bachmann locomotives and I think almost all of mine, have problems! You also talked like Bachmann has several 4-6-0 locos to choose from, when there is only one. So, forgive me for not taking what you said seriously. In actuality, I decided to pass on this offering by Bachmann, after I watched a video review and reading Model Railroad Magazine's review of this loco. Plus the fact that it doesn't look like a Northern Pacific Ten Wheeler in use at the time of my layout's time period.

Back