anyone got good plans for a module layout

I'm renting my place no plan on moving. Starting a new layout as most have figured out. Looking for plans for building a module layout. Anyone have a set or know where a set is. That don't cost a lot.

If you google HO Track Plans, you'll get a heap of sites to go through with plans varying from Small to Large. Might be the quickest and easiest way to get a broad idea of what is possible and one that might fit your thoughts exactly!

Good luck and looking forward to the build.

Don't need track plan yet need plans for a good module benchwork. Without that it won't matter what track plan I reside won't have any thing to put it on. The problem I'm having I'm build thing to go up and stay whole. Not break down. Thought thanks for the thought Tony.

Sorry, misunderstood - in that case, what side bench work do you want? Say you want a 16' X 3' layout (in total) I'd build 4 X 4' X 3' sections that could be bolted together for the table top. For the legs, I'd use 2 X 4's that could also be bolted to framework of the "table top" and braced similarly from back to front for stability.

This would give you 4 sections of 4' X 3' for transporting (if needed) and a quick and easy setup/take down process.

I wouldn't go any larger than a 4' X 4' section though unless you have someone to help move the sections.

Look at the NTrak and HOtrak specs... These are "standardized" module specifications. NTrak clubs seem to be everywhere, HOtrak not so much.

I recommend track plan first then design the bench work. The Plan does not need to be fully detailed, but a plan of your main line and spaces for main yards or staging. You may have to design the corners differently depending on the radii you decide on. Some areas may not need to be as wide as others.
Steve

Don't need track plan yet need plans for a good module benchwork. Without that it won't matter what track plan I reside won't have any thing to put it on. The problem I'm having I'm build thing to go up and stay whole. Not break down.
Hmmm, well I have a 12' x 6' set up that is in three sections. I built it as three modules that are held together with hinges. 2'x6' 3'x6' and 2'x3'. Makes an L shape. You could expand the idea to do a doughnut. 15x16 is pretty large so it seems this might work. - 4 corners at 4'x6' each, two 3' units (for use with the 6' edges of the corner), and four 4' units (with the 4' edges of he corners).

It is just a standard 1"x4" open frame, with 1"x2" cross beams that support 2" foam surface. In some places I used 1"x1" side supports for the foam and in other places the foam just hangs. I think the cross braces were 16" apart. Since this is intended to be portable I cut anything that added weight. I can easily carry any one of these units with one hand.

I just built the track across the joints and then cut it right down the seam. I did modify the track design so that (mostly) no turnouts or other sensitive track pieces would fall on a joint. I did have one turnout that hangs out about 1" and did not cut it. It is a free floating piece I have to deal with each time I disassemble.

There are no rail joiners. I just butt ends at the end of each section. Power is passed via wire w/plugs underneath.

horizontal%20W%20skirts%20small.JPG

Hinges that hold the things in place. If I were doing it again I would have used heavy duty stainless steel. The brass looks good and works ok but I can see "flexing" sometimes.
hing.JPG

Butt ends of rails. You can see by the number of nails into the wood frame, that I made certain the track was very secure right on the ends where it has to match the other side exactly.
IMG_2050.JPG

Molex connector for power. This one was especially tricky since there is a leg of a wye going between modules, so it had to have extra wires for the auto reverse module.
IMG_2055.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for plans for building a module layout. Anyone have a set or know where a set is. That don't cost a lot.
Oh, yeah. I forgot. I now have three corner modules. Here is my latest, once again built for the 2012 Hudson 125th Anniversary show.

Notice it has 1"x6" construction. It was made to be truly modular in that the track stops 4.5" from the edge so a jumper sectional track can span between other modules. It also has no hinges. It is held to other modules with clamps. The 1x6" and jumper tracks allow it to more easily mate with my children's Youth in Model Railroading modules (the four going toward the top of the picture). Normally I like to use #1 pine lumber (with no knots) and sometimes even oak, but this looked pretty good when I saw it in the store.
modular_corner.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the thoughts started with scarm last night having a little trouble getting the basebourd set on it. Computer where never my friend and still not. But I'll keep plugging away going to rewatch the tutorial on it after work.

Back