Anyone ever use the can motors from Micro Mark?

Anyone have expierence with Micro-Marks HO can motors? I have a handfull of locomotives that would be nice to repower and MM has them on sale for 20 bucks each. Much more affordable then the Proto Power West motors.

Anyone have expierence with Micro-Marks HO can motors? I have a handfull of locomotives that would be nice to repower and MM has them on sale for 20 bucks each. Much more affordable then the Proto Power West motors.
I have not. There are many variables when considering a "can" motor (torque, rpm, current draw, bearings, etc.) The most important question is it really a can motor or is it an open frame motor that has been shrouded by a can? When I found some "cheap" motors, I bought 1 and tried it out, before I placed an order for 20 more..

all i use is a line can motors, last year i wanted too try and see how they run and i bought one and they suck.... il stick too my can motors from aline.. ive repowered 6 athearn locos and wow what a difference.

I will use the best motor I can afford for the engine its to go in. As a result, I have only 2 can motors that are of the same brand. I've got what is basically every thing from a coreless motor, to a cheap 3 pole can motor that is perfect for the loco it went into. I believe that NO ONE motor is good for all locos, UNLESS the locos are all from the same maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago "can motor" only referred to very hi-tech motors that had no iron in the armature. They were called 'Ironless Armature can motors". They had ball bearings and you could spin the shaft very slowly and feel absolutly no magnetic 'cogging' .

You could hook the leads of one to the leads of a second one and if you slowly turned the shaft with either, the other would mimic the same turning. They were works of art! We desiged many servo control systems with these motors and they were about 40 bucks in lots of 1000 back in the 1970s.

You are right. Now they wrap a fake metal skin around any old piece of trash from china and call it a can motor.

link to a real can motor cutaway view.

http://www.designworldonline.com/ironless-dc-motors-deserve-a-second-look/

The only "can" motors I've ever used were Canon 20mm diameter "coreless" motors. They fit perfectly inside the boilers of Mantua/Tyco Pacific and Mikado steam locomotives. After 30-odd years, they still function flawlessly. Sadly, Canon no longer makes them. I haven't really looked for the equivalent in performance, but I doubt I'll find it...exactly.

Canon no longer makes them. I haven't really looked for the equivalent in performance, but I doubt I'll find it...exactly.
Northwest Shortline used to have a very good line of real can motors in various sizes shapes and shaft configurations. I do not know if they still do or not.

I just broke down and ordered two, complete with flex shaft linkage from Micro Mark on sale for $20 each. Considering all the money i have spent on high end stuff that never lived up to expectation or value, I felt that $ 40 bucks to try and get a couple of old BB locos back in service was worth the risk. If the Post office ever gets around to delivering them, I will get to see whether or not I was "taken" again.

Joe

I just broke down and ordered two, complete with flex shaft linkage from Micro Mark on sale for $20 each. Considering all the money i have spent on high end stuff that never lived up to expectation or value, I felt that $ 40 bucks to try and get a couple of old BB locos back in service was worth the risk. If the Post office ever gets around to delivering them, I will get to see whether or not I was "taken" again.
Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Im also looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Ive been spending a lot of time today actually searching the web for any info related to the MM line of motors and there is not much out there. Plenty on the other common upgrades like Mashima/A line/proto power west kits, Helix Humper, NWSL, etc. But I have only found a few responses in various forums here and there over the many pages and posts of info regarding can motor swaps that its kind of dissappointing. From what I did find though, somewhere I read one guy used a few of the MM can motors and had good luck. I forgot where I seen it though as I was skimming through page after page of info regarding can motor upgrades. His review was favorable but there still isnt enough info regarding the MM can motors.

Ive since noticed that when you have DCC, the importance of using a quality can motor is more important for performance and you dont fry a decoder. I did also search for upgrading using a Kato motor like the HM-5 and did a search for Cannon can motors to see if any helpfull info comes up. So I have expanded a bit from searching for MM can motors specifically.

I wish there was more info on these MM motors though. The sale ends this Friday and then it goes back to 30 dollars. Which at that price point, might as well go with known reliable NWSL or Helix Humper motors if your going to spend 30 bucks (The PPW Mashima kits are 60).

Im also looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Ive been spending a lot of time today actually searching the web for any info related to the MM line of motors and there is not much out there. Plenty on the other common upgrades like Mashima/A line/proto power west kits, Helix Humper, NWSL, etc. But I have only found a few responses in various forums here and there over the many pages and posts of info regarding can motor swaps that its kind of dissappointing. From what I did find though, somewhere I read one guy used a few of the MM can motors and had good luck. I forgot where I seen it though as I was skimming through page after page of info regarding can motor upgrades. His review was favorable but there still isnt enough info regarding the MM can motors.

Ive since noticed that when you have DCC, the importance of using a quality can motor is more important for performance and you dont fry a decoder. I did also search for upgrading using a Kato motor like the HM-5 and did a search for Cannon can motors to see if any helpfull info comes up. So I have expanded a bit from searching for MM can motors specifically.

I wish there was more info on these MM motors though. The sale ends this Friday and then it goes back to 30 dollars. Which at that price point, might as well go with known reliable NWSL or Helix Humper motors if your going to spend 30 bucks (The PPW Mashima kits are 60).

First thing is for the mail man to actually deliver the package. It was "shipped" Monday, and the MW facility is no more than 60 miles from me....

I decided to try the MW motors because they were only 20 bucks each, otherwise........ This will be a learning experience.

On the other hand, Micro Mark has been around for quite a while, so "someone" uses their products. They do sell useful stuff, like the truck reaming tool, which does work.

I'm looking to try one in a "Yellow Box" SW1500 - which is really an SW7 - with metal truck sides. The other possibility is a Blue Box FM H24-66. The original Athearn motors draw too much current, and I intend to use these on a DCC layout.

In any event, I will document and post the results, good or bad.

Joe

Floyd, the mail man, did not deliver the parcel from Micro Mark today, so I have to wait at least through tomorrow, before I determine as to whether I got a good deal or got taken. No tracking on items shipped via the Post Office. Up to eight business days is what they claim............

Clearly, it has become apparent that anything less than UPS 2-3 day shipping ain't worth it, considering the distance between Micro Mark's warehouse shipping address, and my house; (About 60 miles).

Keep in mind, I ordered decoders from Trainworld about a half hour before I made my order from Micro Mark. I received my decoders yesterday........I'm still waitin' on the motors from Micro Mark as I write this. Brooklyn ain't any further from me than Berkley Heights.

Sometimes, the bargain you seek, ain't what you get...........Live 'n learn.

Even if the motors and linkage perform flawlessly, for a decent price, if I have to wait for ever, on the whims of the Post Office, maybe it ain't worth what I paid. I don't know this for a fact, but because I'm from Jersey, I lack patience.

Will keep you informed. I'm anxious to know for myself.

Joe

MicroMark sells a lot of good stuff and some not so good stuff.

They can ship fast if they need to but they tend to be a bit slow to fill "regular" orders.

I am looking forward to your analysis of the motors. My fear is that they will turn out to be just ordinary, run of the mill, permanent magnet motors in a "can".

Hoping for the best.

MicroMark sells a lot of good stuff and some not so good stuff.

They can ship fast if they need to but they tend to be a bit slow to fill "regular" orders.

I am looking forward to your analysis of the motors. My fear is that they will turn out to be just ordinary, run of the mill, permanent magnet motors in a "can".

Hoping for the best.

I ordered Sunday, they shipped Monday you cannot expect better than that.

The problem I am having with that is that their options are Standard Shipping (via USPS), or FEDEX air or overnight. I'm not paying for air/overnight to ship 60 miles or less, door to door.

The problem is the Postal Service -Standard shipping = Parcel Post. Even then it should have been here overnight considering the distance. Even a postal employee can "walk" that far in two days.

Seriously, Micro Mark has some really useful stuff. But each time I order from them, I have to wait and wonder because they use the Post Office instead of UPS for standard shipping. The Post Office is an adventure when tracking is available, when it is not - well, one never knows.........

Thursday, is another day........maybe Floyd will not feel stressed and deliver the package...there is always hope.

Joe

Hundreds of times a year I ship to places from 25 up to 125 miles from here by UPS ground and 100-perecent of the time it gets there the very next business day. UPS air would be a waste of money. If I ship up to a 400-mile distance it only takes 2 days - every time. However shipping, to let's say New Jersey would take about 5 business days.,

Usually when things take longer than that it's because the company didn't the same or even next day you ordered- it's called foot-draging.

Micro-Mark and Train World has been quick when I order. Can't say the same about Walthers.

My issue is not with Micro Mark, they claim to have shipped it on Monday. My issue is with the USPS.

Door to door, I'm 54 miles from Micro Mark's warehouse. If UPS can get my package from Brooklyn, NY (Or Cockeysville, MD)to my front door within 24 hours of accepting the package, the Post office should be able to do likewise. The difference is that the Post Office has no sense of urgency.

In any event, I have not received delivery yet, so I cannot evaluate the product, yet.

Joe

I'm looking to try one in a "Yellow Box" SW1500 - which is really an SW7 - with metal truck sides. The other possibility is a Blue Box FM H24-66. The original Athearn motors draw too much current, and I intend to use these on a DCC layout.

In any event, I will document and post the results, good or bad.

Joe

Cool because the locomotives I want to re-power are all Athearn BB. 90% of them have never been run before so they are brand new but most already know, there is no point in messing with the stock original Athearn motor because of the high current draw.

yea athearn is a huge draw compared to anything made in the last decade , come on USPS we are waiting :p

The package from Micro Mark finally arrived this morning. My thoughts.

1. Although I received an e-mail on Monday advising that the parcel was "shipped" on Monday, the parcel' s shipping label had a tracking number indicating the parcel was mailed yesterday. OK USPS & local letter carrier, all is forgiven - for now:).
2. Conversely, Micro Mark should have held back on shipping confirmation until it was actually shipped. - They charged my card on Tuesday BTW. Now I know why the shipping e-mail did not contain a tracking # there wasn't any.
3. The actual product. Two individually wrapped motors, in another clear plastic bag, with no documentation other than the invoice. The motors have the Bachmann logo on one side of the motor, a V on the other side. The flywheels are already applied to the motor. I will hook the motors up to a DC source to verify that they actually work..
It appears to be the same motor as currently offered on Bachmann's current DCC on board line (Baldwin Sharks and GP9s etc.), which makes it a decent motor, not high end, but suitable for my projects.
4. The next step is to actually begin the project, probably over the weekend. I have to round up the rest of the parts I have collected for the project.

Joe

Back