Anyone care to identify some locos for me

I have several locos and some cars that I am getting ready to list. You guys seem so good at knowing what the diesels are. Hoping someone will help me know what to list them as? Anyone care to give an idea as to a starting price? They all run and I plan on replacing driver bands soon.

100_0930.png
100_0932.png
100_0933.png
100_0934.png
100_0935.png
100_0936.png

Last edited by a moderator:
And lastly this is a brass piece from a set my dad had when I was a kid. Some stole the powered front unit from him.

Is this a F-7 B unit? and does that look like the proper instuctions?

100_0976.png

Thanks a bunch to anyone that feels like helping out.

And lastly this is a brass piece from a set my dad had when I was a kid. Some stole the powered front unit from him.

Is this a F-7 B unit? and does that look like the proper instuctions?

100_0976.png

Thanks a bunch to anyone that feels like helping out.

This brass item is a EMD FT B-unit. Odds favor that it was imported by PFM, Hallmark, or OMI, depending on its vintage. The value could vary widely depending on maker, condition, if it's powered or not, and particularly that it's only half of a matched set. And no, those are not the instructions that go with this model.

NYW&B

The E8/9 are AHM Rivarossi.

The 1776 caboose is AHM.

The Penn Central, 1776, and the Lackawanna all say TEMPO on the bottom.

Guess I could have said that in the beginning sorry.

Is Tempo and Tyco the same?

Are they F-7s?

Thanks Josh and NYW&B

Anyone else fill in some blanks?

So that means the F-7 papers go with something else? Care to guess at value?

Matched PAIRS (A and B units together) would go for anywhere between $150 and $400, depending on the factors mentioned earlier. The B-unit alone would certainly be worth less that half that, possibly much less.

NYW&B

The 1776 diesel, as well as the Penn Central and Lackawanna are all AHM Fairbanks Morse C-liners. Tempo was a maker in the old Yugoslavia that made diesels for AHM, while Rivarossi made mostly steamers. The E-9 is a Rivarossi, ie AHM. Not worth more than 10.00 each in real good condition.

The Santa Fe next to the 1776 is either Fleischmann or Maerklin. The european style baker type couplers give than away.

Some of the cars should have the maker stamped on the bottom, particularly if Mantua. However, I don't remember the Mantua kits in that style box coming with Horn Hook couplers. The kits I had in that style box had the old hook & loop Mantua couplers. They may have changed thou.

The CP Rail locomotive is not an Athearn F7. It looks like a Bachmann F9. The large single fan (separate from the four smaller fans) was one of the many distinctions between the Athearn F7 and the Bachmann F9. Of course, it could be someone else's F9 besides Bachmann, but I don't know who else made them. Also, is there window "glass" in that CP Rail locomotive? Athearn's F7 didn't come with any glass, but Walthers offered a diesel dress up kit for the Athearn F7 that included glass, IIRC.

As far as a starting price is concerned, I wouldn't expect much, except maybe from the brass FTB and the Fleischmann FA or possibly the American Freedom Train C-Liner and caboose. The majority of these models have been superseded by superior products in the past decade or so, all of which are readily available at reasonable prices, so unless you hit on the odd collector or two getting into a bidding war, you might not get much for them. It's kind of a shame, considering you have some pretty nice museum pieces there - I think I have each one of those freight cars, but none in that good condition!

Yes it has glass and I would say factory since there are pins molded in the ceiling of the cab that hold the glass in which is all one piece with the headlight.

I dont have great expectations was thinking I could average a couple bucks a piece for repairs and list at 9.99 or something and see what happens. Maybe a newbie could get a cheap loco that would last a bit.

They are surplus to me as I do steam and they came in an auction that I couldnt believe I won. 12 Rivarossi steam and 23 other locos and about 50 rolling stock and 2 boxes of parts. The "Big Boy" and the "Mallet" were worth more than what I paid for all.

Thanks for the help. Maybe some collectors will go on a feeding frenzy!!!

Back