Anyone been to the RR museum in Sacramento?

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
We're thinking of hopping a trip on the company plane to check it out. Has anyone been to the muesum? If so, I'd love to hear your comments. Thanks!

I believe Jetrock, over on the MR site, volunteers there. You might look him up and give him an email. I'm sure TWhite could give you a heads up as well. And don't forget Aggro.

I have. Lots of static equipment and displays. Try the Portola Railroad Museum for more hands on stuff, like operating locomotives and such. You can rent a locomotive there too! www.wplives.org

grande man said:
Thanks guys. It looks like the trip cancelled though...:( Oh well, maybe next time.
When you plan the "next time," why not make a California RR museum tour out of it...

Let's see, we have Portola, Sacramento, L.A. (Griffith Park), Perris, San Diego Model RR at Balboa Park, and PSRM at Campo. That should hold you for a few days. :D

Lady_Railfan said:
When you plan the "next time," why not make a California RR museum tour out of it...

Let's see, we have Portola, Sacramento, L.A. (Griffith Park), Perris, San Diego Model RR at Balboa Park, and PSRM at Campo. That should hold you for a few days. :D

Sounds great! This would have been a Friday departure and we'd have been back Sunday night. Might have been a tight schedule. ;)

Well, there ya go. Plan the next trip for three weeks, not three days! :D You could stop off between L.A. and S.D. so LGM could run the F&CGR. :)

Lady_Railfan said:
Well, there ya go. Plan the next trip for three weeks, not three days! :D You could stop off between L.A. and S.D. so LGM could run the F&CGR. :)

Well, I'm kinda on the Boss's schedule.:eek:

I'd love for LGM to run the F&CR! He'd have a blast, but what about ole Dad? :D

And don't froget to ride the Skunk, a 2-8-0 through the rewdoods (then you'll know why I'm so keen on modeling it.)

Lady_Railfan said:

Don't forget about the trains out at the L.A. County Fairgrounds in Pomona.

There are also quite a few excursion trains in California: Willits/Ft. Bragg, Napa Valley Wine Train, Jamestown (and the RR museum there), Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine RR, Fillmore & Western (just to name the ones that come to mind).

I've lived here more than 30 years and have yet to see even half of what's been listed in CA. Fortunately, I've seen some great railroad museums and excursion trains in other states to make up for what I've missed here.

I have been to the Californina State Railroad Museum twice and it is just awsome. If you can only go to one in Northern California then go to that one.

Back