Any other TT scale modelers out there?

Scootermon

Just posted a reply in the N scale forum and mentioned my TT 'door layout' that was put aside while I worked on my newer N scale foamboard layout.
The Rokal equipment, being older (late 60's early 70's) still runs well and the all sectional track in good condition. I plan to 'foamboard' this layout just as I did the N scale one. Beings the scale is between N and HO the layout will share the summer porch with other seasonal items. Wish I could bring that into the house also, but, I'll use what space I have to the best use possible.

TT anyone!

I'm guessing there isn't a lot of stuff available in that scale?
Sounds like a nice mix of "small enough to fit but big enough to see".

I'm guessing there isn't a lot of stuff available in that scale?
Sounds like a nice mix of "small enough to fit but big enough to see".

Actually, there is a fair amount of TT equipment, especially in Germany, where the scale was first developed (although it was invented in the US in 1945 by Hal Joyce). It never really caught on here, but the East Germans loved it, and very nearly every East German firm (Wiad, Piko, Vau-Pe, Rokal, and Zeuke, which later became Berliner TT Bahn and ultimately Tillig) made TT items.

I'm told that it is also popular in the UK, and that it is making a comeback in the US.

As I understand it, British TT was 3mm to the foot (about 100:1), and there were some mass-produced models made in the 1960s. Now it lives on as "3mm scale" and there's a club to link people together:
http://www.3mmsociety.org.uk/

You can always rely on the Brits to come up with a scale that nobody else in the world uses.

TT Information website

As I am on my workplace computer I had to do some looking-up to get the info I needed for this post. Most of the TT information can be found here www.TTscale.com as its' menu will take you to magazines, retail shops, history, etc. There are a couple small mfgrs here in the US who sell track and accessories as well as a few who offer car kits and rolling stock supplies. We're just a bunch of RR Nuts who happen to like the size of this 1:120 scale. Here is how the scales stack up:
O 1:48
HO 1:87
TT 1:120
N 1: 160
Z 1:220
T-Scale 1:450 3mm gauge!!

Most everything is scratch built but the scale lends itself tosome really great modeling. Sorry, don't intend to leave out the S Scale folks. Do not have that info handy.

I was just looking through some old Model Railroader magazines of mine, and I kept seeing advertisements for TT scale "Making a comeback!" These ads were from 1993! Apparently it's been making a comeback for some time now.

The models look quite nice, I like the look of some of the British and European Engines.

Hey guys, how are you? I'm a huge fan of TT scale trains. I had some when I was little and have now picked up the hobby again. I'm currently in the very early stages of layout construction.

Anyway, the only forums dedicated to TT scale are in German, Czech, Dutch, Russian, etc. and since I don't know those languages I made my own forum. If you're interested, take a look here: www.ttnut.com

Thanks and have a good one!

By the way mods, if this is considered spamming I apologize - please delete this post at your earliest convenience. I'm simply letting people know about a dedicated "home" for TT.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I am on my workplace computer I had to do some looking-up to get the info I needed for this post. Most of the TT information can be found here www.TTscale.com as its' menu will take you to magazines, retail shops, history, etc. There are a couple small mfgrs here in the US who sell track and accessories as well as a few who offer car kits and rolling stock supplies. We're just a bunch of RR Nuts who happen to like the size of this 1:120 scale. Here is how the scales stack up:
O 1:48
HO 1:87
TT 1:120
N 1: 160
Z 1:220
T-Scale 1:450 3mm gauge!!

Most everything is scratch built but the scale lends itself tosome really great modeling. Sorry, don't intend to leave out the S Scale folks. Do not have that info handy.

I did a quick search to bring up the missing S Scale info. It falls in between HO and O at 1:64, right about the correct size to use Hot Wheels/Matchbox type cars in the scenery (Well, Racing Champions if you want true to scale).

Yes, there are other tt modelers! Also, there is a new SW1200 RTR in tt now available. The list of models for north american tt is slowly but surely growing :)

I decided to check the misc model scale forum, saw your thread, and I just had to make a reply. While I know Power Trains (The only model trains I currently have) are not actually listed as TT scale, I consider them to be TT scale as I heard on the Internet (On YouTube of all places) these trains are 'closer to TT scale than to HO scale'. I don't know how close, but I intend to find out. So, if you'd like to speak to me about anything dealing with TT scale stuff, let me know, Scootermon! We can share layout plans, building tips, and much more besides if you want.

It appears to have been some time since anyone discussed TT Scale. I was wondering if there is anyone who can help identify some TT Scale engines and cars. I found some pictures but the information is in German.

cant help you there, but i went to a show last weekend here in Atlanta and saw a young guy with a TT layout on display...first i have heard of it.

Welcome to the forums Grumpy, glad to have you onboard.

I suggest you start a new thread and post some pictures. You should get more help with identifying your equipment.

Back