Any other railroads double head with Union Pacific?

A railroad is more likely to have connecting road power in its trains than a competing road. The UP and NS, CSX share more power than the BNSF and UP. So run through power you would see more NS/CSX with UP or BNSF than UP with BNSF (local conditions creating exceptions of course).

On the other hand you will be more likely to see trackages rights trains from the UP on the BNSF and vice versa. Competing roads have more trackages rights. Trackage rights trains will be more likely to have "pure" consists of the tenant road's power. So if you have a BNSF trackage rights train on the UP it is more likely to have all BNSF power.

Lots of neat information I didnt know! And the biggest thing to remember is it is YOUR railroad, so do what you want! We have Chessie System running with UP and BNSF and CSX all the time, and I dont think you would ever see that in the real world lol. That is the fun of having your own layout, doing what you want!

Over the past 2 1/2 years I've taken 2 trips on Amtrak's Crescent from Penn station in NYC to Mississippi. Somewhere in Virginia the Crescent runs on NS trackage for the rest of the trip south to New Orleans. As it passes through cities and towns you will frequently see freights on sidings or in yards with both NS and UP power. I've noticed this as far south as Hattiesburg and Laurel, Mississippi.

It's not our grandfathers' railroads any more.

Back East you will see UP mixed in consists with NS or CSX. Occasionally you will see CP run here as well on the former D&H trackage. Railpace magazine (http://www.railpace.com) does a great job of capturing a bunch of images. You will also see NS helping out Amtrak during equipment shortages.

Theres a local coal terminal here, and I always see a couple UP consists, a UP/BNSF consist, and a UP/SP consist, all on the East side of I-24 here in Paducah.

It's really cool to see these. Just the other day i was watching in Dexter, Missouri on the UP Jonesboro sub and saw a UP with both a KCS and a cool looking BC Rail engine.

It's not real uncommon to see a CP,, BNSF, NS or a CSX in the UP mix either in that area. And as of lately, i've started seeing a few CSX engines in BNSF consists on the BNSF River sub through the Sikeston area.

I also saw a really cool unpatched SP unit at Scott City the other day, but some idiot laying steel plates on the tracks had me distracted with calling the cops!

Very interesting, thanks for all of your posts. I find it interesting that they do this and that it seems like this is more common than I thought. So, this gives me an excuse to run UP and BNSF equipment together as well. :)

I had this same mind set when i started modeling and since I've learned the real truth its added much flavor and realism to my layout.. I like NS but my first love is SF/BNSF so now i get to add a sprinkling of different flags to my layout..

NS UP CSX bla bla bla..

Keep it coming!!

This is pretty close. The miles are banked and after a certain threshold is reached X amount of power is delivered to run off time.

In most service units (most, NOT ALL) it doesn't matter whose power is in the lead. Here in the Fort Worth SU we routinely ran CSX, BNSF, and NS power on the nose. BTW, even though it may be a UP train we still radioed as BNSF (or whatever power it was) XXXX (road number) to dispatch. Now, in some SU's, you had to have home power on the lead due to in-cab signaling or some other requirement. But you also need to make sure that you have a functioning Harris Box if DP'd and make sure you had telemetry to the FRED. FYI, UP uses air driven FRED's and BNSF uses battery powered. FYI again, FRED's are required because you have to be able to "plug" the train from both ends now. That is one of the tests that carmen (or conductor is no carmen) have to check prior to signing the air slip (except for transfer trains).

But, don't give the RR too much credit. As a whole, UP can barley get up in the morning and get their pants on. There really is little thought as to what power goes where. No one cares whose road, which way it's facing, or even if the thing has been serviced or not. UP is absolutely horrible (in the FTW SU) about servicing power. No ice, no water, no toilet service, no wash, no windshield, no sand, etc. If you don't want to go it'll only take about two minutes to find an FRA no-go item. Call the service track and refuse the train. As soon as the RR started denying claims I started refusing trains. You can beat them over the head with the rule book all day long if you know it and never turn a wheel.

BTW, I preferred BNSF power every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Their equipment is so much better maintained. The worst was former MOPAC. Their units had half back seats that were impossible to recline in and get comfortable. The only thing worse than an old MOPAC was a GENSET.

Sorry for the general rambles, just some FYI stuff.

Macjet

I could read a hour or two of this stuff no need for a apology just keep it coming I love this stuff...:D

Back