Any HO F59-PHI Fans? Just ordered one...

Hey gang,

I have long been a fan of the newer F59PHI diesels and bombardier coaches. If you are not familiar with them, they are perhaps the newest diesel passenger engine built for the western United States. Aside from the NorthEast Corridor, American railroads for passengers didn't get a whole lot of new engines to choose from in the past 20 years. First there was the Genesis (AMD 103), which I also enjoy. Then, the Northwest and California passenger fleets acquired the F59 class, a bullet-style diesel with all the hi-tech computer controls. I believe the locos and and newer styles commuter coaches "bombardier cars" were made in Canada. Lucky for me, I live in Fullerton, Calif and can see these commute every day of the week! The Genesis pulls in at 7.35 pm with the Southwest Chief to Chicago also. I have taken some "nice" photos and will take more.

I just ordered an Amtrak version with some matching commuter cars. Its an Athearn HO RTR model and I am purchasing a decoder for it to install for DCC. If the other RTR models from Athearn are a benchmark for how well this will work on a DCC layout, it should be great.

These F59 models are sold out by Athearn for many months/years. I do not know when they will start production again. The bombardier coaches look incredible! I saw them at a hobby shop years ago. Now I can't wait for the package to arrive! I would also like to get a fleet of the AMD 103's as well.

If anyone has an interest in the F59 or AMD 103 series, lets chat!

Regards,

Thomas P. Metzger
MetzgerTrains@aol.com

P.s. Prototype insider: Did you know that the one-piece body for the AMD 103 was from a German design? It was in keeping with the standard diesel loco building practice often used in mainline German railroading.

I own 3 F59PHI's, one Stock Athearn RTR, one custom painted (both in Metrolink) and one stock John Deere (soon to become an F59PH). I plan to add 2 more, one more Metrolink, and one Amtrak West. Both will most likely be repainted from John Deere units, as they're CHEAP.

I love the F59PHi. So much so, that I scratch built one before Athearn did theirs. Oddly enough, that is still the only one I have. I may get a couple Athearns eventually to pull commuter trains for my railroad, the SWORR.

The John Deere sets at Walmart contain the F59PHI . There's a post on here where where jbaako did a nice job of converting one over to Metrolink!!

Back