Would love to see some Conrail models.

Attachments

• E8B3BDC8-7319-4E6D-BECD-E53E1BD2FDEC.jpeg
    E8B3BDC8-7319-4E6D-BECD-E53E1BD2FDEC.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 0368E9E2-004F-403D-B394-E4B26CE3E17D.jpeg
    0368E9E2-004F-403D-B394-E4B26CE3E17D.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 160
I have 3 Kato with a slight modification. My friend that's a diehard Conrail fan says I ruined them, I tell him I bought them new life. Besides the yellow CSX numbers are eye catching.😇 The 2 SD70MAC and SD80MAC see coal drag duty with Somerset coal cars going to the plant in Somerset ,N.Y. which is about 15 miles NE of me.
IMG_3942.jpg
IMG_3941.jpg
IMG_3940.jpg

I have 3 Kato with a slight modification. My friend that's a diehard Conrail fan says I ruined them, I tell him I bought them new life. Besides the yellow CSX numbers are eye catching.😇 The 2 SD70MAC and SD80MAC see coal drag duty with Somerset coal cars going to the plant in Somerset ,N.Y. which is about 15 miles NE of me.View attachment 124268View attachment 124269View attachment 124270
Now why did you go and “patch” them? Geesh, you ruined them!!!!
Seriously though, they look nice. No different than the early conrail locos that were patched or “ruined” too. 😜
I am looking for both of those locos to add to my railroad. I left the hobby when they were available and now can’t seem to find them, but I will. 👍

Don't know if it counts, but my layout has a "Former" Conrail loco running around a yard mule:
25693683568_d56d47140c_z.jpg

Gotta do some lighting work, but it was funning making him look ugly. :)
Don't know if it counts, but my layout has a "Former" Conrail loco running around a yard mule:
25693683568_d56d47140c_z.jpg

Gotta do some lighting work, but it was funning making him look ugly. :)
Thats an old Athearn blue box! That was the very first Athearn loco I bought. Nice!

Now why did you go and “patch” them? Geesh, you ruined them!!!!
Seriously though, they look nice. No different than the early conrail locos that were patched or “ruined” too. 😜
I am looking for both of those locos to add to my railroad. I left the hobby when they were available and now can’t seem to find them, but I will. 👍
I've heard that from someone before.
Check ebay,now that Athearn did the 80 MAC I'm sure the Katos are for sale.
I'll try to get some Conrail pics from my buddy at the club.

Some custom painted Bowser hoppers. (Did the best I could with the decals I had). Couldn’t find the correct “can opener” decal that has the angle cut. Matching the paint was interesting too.

For the Reading hoppers, I found a site online that makes the decals. I decaled six of these, one right after the other, over a two day period. Yes, that was..... well,I won’t do six at a time again.😜
8D95F8F5-BCA2-4DF4-864E-F57F007A82EC.jpeg
E0EDA8DB-EB24-41CC-84B8-DFCBDC6464E9.jpeg

Last edited:
That's it 6, I did 40 grain hoppers and started 12 coal cars. 🙃
All kidding aside you have a better appreciation when you paint and decal your own. Mainly because you have something no one else has because it has a road number that you picked.

Six cars really tested my patience.😳
I here you, the coal cars I'm doing now are the CSX gray with black lettering.(nobody makes) I'm using leftover 4750 decals for the CSX and numbers and NS decals for the data. I have to use individual numbers for the 39 series due to none of those sheets have that consecutive. The changeling part is the small end numbers getting them straight.

I here you, the coal cars I'm doing now are the CSX gray with black lettering.(nobody makes) I'm using leftover 4750 decals for the CSX and numbers and NS decals for the data. I have to use individual numbers for the 39 series due to none of those sheets have that consecutive. The changeling part is the small end numbers getting them straight.
Yeah, the individual numbers. Been there. Makes my eyes hurt trying to get them straight. But if done right it’s something to be proud of. 👍
When I finished up my RDG hoppers, I swore I’d never do that again. Guess what? I might be doing some more. It never ends!😂😂

DJ just posted a video full of blue Conrail locos and key Pennsylvania structures, you should definitely check it out!

Those are very nice Conrail locomotives there! Conrail was one of my most favorite railroads back in 2002. I kind of remember seeing those Conrail locomotives while living in Gouvernuer, New York in 1991-1993 when I was 5-7 years old! Well, I only remember seeing blue locomotives, I didn't know they were Conrails till I looked on Mapquest (CSX has that line now,) but that's what got me interested in Conrail! But where I live now I usually see yellow locomotives (Union Pacific, another one of my faves!)

I don't know if I'll ever get any toy Conrails, never really had the interest to get any. I have for now Union Pacific, ATSF, Chessie, and Amtrak, and an Erie steam locomotive.

Just joined the forum. I'm a Conrail under wires fan. Scratch built E44s several years back. mostly styrene construction, although if i was doing another batch, i would do the main frames in brass. Pantographs also scratchbuilt from brass, trucks bought directly from Steward (ALCo Century as they were very similar) maybe sometime down the road i'll fix those eqiulizer frames and make them more massive just like on real E44;
20221122_223508.jpg
20221122_222720.jpg
20221122_222706.jpg
20221122_222656.jpg
20221122_222644.jpg
20221122_222555.jpg
20221122_222516.jpg

Back