Another old guy

grayghost

Hello men and ladies.

I am getting back into the hobby after 40 years.
And man have things changed.
I will be modeling in N Scale.

Right now I am completely lost.
I will be using the digitrax Zephyr Express.
And I have a small stater set.

For right now I space is tight so I plan
on using a sheet of plywood 4x8 to start out on.

I will need to learn about the dcc stuff.
We didn't have these great things the last
time I held a model train.

So that's where I at the moment.
I think the hardest thing I would like to
do is install a turn table.

At some point I want to get a BIG BOY loco.
But I don't think it will fit on what is offered.
I looked at the Ho Walthers and modifying
the rail part for N scale.But that will be later
on down the road.

Hello and have a good one.

Hello you will find lots of fellow "old guys" here.

Right now I am completely lost.
I will be using the digitrax Zephyr Express.
I will need to learn about the dcc stuff.
You have almost everything you need and need to learn. For starters for a 4x8 layout hook up two wires from the Zepher to the rails, select loco #3, put the loco on the track and start running it. See how easy that was? The first thing you will need to learn is how to make the second locomotive NOT be on channel #3. That is called programming. All that complicated stuff you are seeing for DCC is for large layouts and for doing fancy things that 90% of folks never need to do.

We didn't have these great things the last time I held a model train.
Well, it was. It was just not standardized and just not mainstream yet. Standardization in 1992-3 is what made it take off.

For right now I space is tight so I plan on using a sheet of plywood 4x8 to start out on.
I would guess that is how 90% of people get started.

At some point I want to get a BIG BOY loco.
Athearn makes one of those in N-scale.

Hello you will find lots of fellow "old guys" here.

You have almost everything you need and need to learn. For starters for a 4x8 layout hook up two wires from the Zepher to the rails, select loco #3, put the loco on the track and start running it. See how easy that was? The first thing you will need to learn is how to make the second locomotive NOT be on channel #3. That is called programming. All that complicated stuff you are seeing for DCC is for large layouts and for doing fancy things that 90% of folks never need to do.

Well, it was. It was just not standardized and just not mainstream yet. Standardization in 1992-3 is what made it take off.

I would guess that is how 90% of people get started.

Athearn makes one of those in N-scale.
Thanks.
I have been doing a lot of reading on dcc I think I will be able to sort it out.
It will just take time.
Have a good one,

Greetings from another old(ish) guy!
I wish I was starting out again, I’d keep things simpler and have less stuff. I’m working on the less stuff now. 😉
Not sure what you mean about modifying ho to n scale?

Greetings and welcome.

Another "Old Guy" here myself. I use DC as I'm in the computer industry and just prefer not to deal with computerization in my hobby (ok the the wife says I'm cheap is some regards).

If the only reason for a turntable is to turn a big boy, a wye or reverse loop would be a lot less headaches to use. Digitrax even makes an automatic reverse unit for wye and reverse loops. I think it’s an AR-1

Greetings from another old(ish) guy!
I wish I was starting out again, I’d keep things simpler and have less stuff. I’m working on the less stuff now. 😉
Not sure what you mean about modifying ho to n scale?
I was thinking about walters ho turn table. All the n scale turn tables seem to be to short to hold a n scale big boy loco.
So the only thing I know to do right now is to modify the walters ho scale turn table or build one.

Greetings and welcome.

Another "Old Guy" here myself. I use DC as I'm in the computer industry and just prefer not to deal with computerization in my hobby (ok the the wife says I'm cheap is some regards).
Pleased to meet you.

If the only reason for a turntable is to turn a big boy, a wye or reverse loop would be a lot less headaches to use. Digitrax even makes an automatic reverse unit for wye and reverse loops. I think it’s an AR-1
I didn't know that thanks.

Hey thanks. For some reason I thought it needed to be 13 inches long for the part that the loco sat on.

HI, Grayghost. I got into the dcc world with an NCE Power Cab starter system. Very easy to set up and to use. Also easy to add on to if necessary. I'm pretty sure NCE also has a automatic reverser.

I've expanded a bit from the dcc starter set and it's pretty easy...lots of stuff on youtube on it but that's probably true with Digitrax too.

Good luck!

Paul

Back