Another new Guy

Gus

Hi guys, my name is Gus. I'm fairly new to model railroading. My only experience being a small Lionel setup I had as a kid, nearly 70 years ago and a small HO setup I did for my now 40 something kids when they were young.
I do have "some" experience in model making, but the ins and outs of model railroading are quite new to me. But, I've always been fascinated by model railroad layouts.
I'm currently well into my first project, which is a diorama of a third rail electric interurban station, inspired by the fact that this station was directly across the street from me. Not much left of the station now, it went under in 1933. Just a concrete platform and a bridge abutment. Being my somewhat quite neighborhood is rapidly expanding into a suburbia, I decided to model the station as it was, based on old pictures and the few remaining remnants before it all disappears. My thinking is that maybe some of the new population might be interested in what was the roots of our community.
GUS

Being my somewhat quite neighborhood is rapidly expanding into a suburbia, I decided to model the station as it was, based on old pictures and the few remaining remnants before it all disappears. My thinking is that maybe some of the new population might be interested in what was the roots of our community.
Get pictures of the remaining remnants NOW. I have several stories about things I "was going to get pictures of before they were gone". Waited too long and ... they were gone and I have no pictures of them.

Many thanks for the warm welcome guys.
I might as well introduce the railway and name of the station. It was the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway, Nuangola Station. Nuangola Station is also the name of the community. The railway was a 33 mile interurban with a protected third rail outside of the running rails. It was a direct route over the mountains between the two cities. The only other rail option was a much longer steam powered circuit about twice the distance. The railway was in existence from1903 until 1933, when it went bankrupt.
I took pictures of the station remnants about two years ago, and made scale drawings of the remnants and the station as it was then. What is left is now well documented. At that point in time I was thinking about making a model, but was side tracked because I got so interested in the history of my local area and the actual people involved. I started keeping a notebook and talking to some of the oldtimers and searched out every piece of written history and pictures that I could find. But, that's another story.
At any rate finally I started building the model about four or five months ago. I'm not sure where pics of my early progress got misfiled to, so I'll post a couple of when I first started the diorama. The scale is O gage which I chose because it was a size my clumsy fingers can deal with. But O gage has some drawbacks.
GUS

Attachments

• 20191210_090209.jpg
    20191210_090209.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 20191210_090226.jpg
    20191210_090226.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 20191210_090310.jpg
    20191210_090310.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 163

Back