Analog to DCC conversion - Video Series

vbagwalla

Analog to DCC conversion - Part 1. This video will show you how to remove the Analog board that comes with your KATO EMD-E9A locomotive and install a Digitrax DN163K0a DCC board. This introduction video will show you what you need to get started. Subsequent videos in this series will have detailed instructions.

[video=youtube;AAhHeXHfeRw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAhHeXHfeRw&t=162s[/video]

Why Analog? Why not DC? We seem to be constantly re-inventing the wheel! I guess if everyone seems to think it should be called analog now, I'll be saying thanks; but, no thanks! DC has been what it was called way back when I started and I'm going to leave it right there!

Really, I'm not trying to be a jerk! I just get tired of things constantly be renamed, just because we can.

That does make sense Mark. Wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel... rather, just a word I have also heard interchangeably. DC is also a perfect alternative to Analog in this case. Agreed :)

It's both.

Yes, it sure is. My question is, why do we need two words to describe it when the original did the job so well? I am amazed at our ability to confuse things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the word analogue is much longer, therefore DC is easier to say and write, one of the first things I find when introducing people (get this at the club) to DCC, who have come from a DC background, is the confusion that the similarities between the acronyms creates. "I know what DC stands for, what's the extra C for?". The DC in DCC, not standing for DC at all, makes it hard for them to understand the differences, but if you were to say, e.g. "That's an analogue TV, and this is a Digital TV, then they'd know what you're talking about. Well....maybe. Possibly we should refer to our trains in the same way. But I fear the acronyms are now with us.

Toot,

When I've ever been asked to explain the difference, I say DC stands for Direct Current. Most everyone knows about DC, as opposed to AC (Alternating Current). I go on to explain what DCC is and tell them it stands for Digital Command Control. Most of the time, I am a proponent of dropping the multitudinous use of acronyms in today's world using the written word! Talk about confusing! However, DC and DCC are so ingrained in my brain, that I don't have to think about it. It's obvious that you guys down under spell analog differently than we do here in the states. So, now were confusing the issue even more! However, No worries, Mate!

I don't know, maybe the model railroading congress has determined that DC is old fashion and deemed that Analog; or, Analogue, is the proper way to describe Direct Current operation now.

Analogue, s'cause we're British you see :p. Also explains why I didn't get a wiggly red line underneath when I wrote it. And if that's not bad enough, my spell check is set to English (Australian) US Keyboard.

Maybe there's a move towards calling DC, analog (see I can do it and it doesn't tell me it's wrong. A bi-lingual keyboard?) is because DCC actually describes a control system, but DC describes a type of electrical current and not a control system, so DC/DCC is an inaccurate title.

King Toot, So, you mean to tell me that calling it DC has been absolutely wrong for all of my LIFE and probably since the beginning of time? Will wonders ever cease? Analogue/Analog, this is the reason why the U.S.A. fought a revolution! We didn't want a King or Queen to be telling us how to spell. However, your argument for Analogue/Analog over DC makes perfect sense to me, now. I shall forever be calling it Analog from now on. Thinking about this for a bit, wouldn't it be a better title be: Non-Digital and we could shorten it up to ND. This might confuse my friends from North Dakota; but, we all need to make sacrifices for the advancement of clarity.

Umm, it was the first thing I did!

Vbagwalla,

Having installed 15; or, so decoders in my locomotives, over the last 15 to 20 years, I found your video to be very basic. However, you provided excellent information for anyone starting out installing decoders in their locomotives. I certainly will watch the next video, if one is produced.

As far as the discussion on Analog vs. DC, the topic was germane to your video. My guess is that I am a curmudgeon and dang proud of the fact! I truly can not keep up with the changes that happen every day and am tired of the fact that what was the gold standard one day, is not the next! It's also my opinion that some change occurs, simply because people can change it! So, it's my rebellion, because I can rebel.

Thank you for taking the time to do your video! Good luck and best wishes.

Mark

I should have added I too watched the video. I have a mixture of DC and DCC locomotives. I haven't yet started converting the "complex" installations. I have done some of the simple ones, where there is plenty of room for the decoder. I will also keep watching.

My first decoder install was using Atlas' straight forward #341 decoder and it was a great way to build confidence in decode installation. These coders perform well and are very easy to install.

I still have several off these decoders for locomotives that are still in their boxes.

Like NP2626 pointed out the video is great for those just starting out in DCC from DC.

Thanks.

Greg

Hello Mark,

Yes, it was extremely basic. I wanted it to be a start to finish. When I personally started converting my locomotives, I did not find anything out there that gave detailed instructions from start to finish so I wanted to create a series for the same. Subsequent ones will go into a lot more detail on each step. Appreciate your comments and feedback

- V

- V:

I would suggest that you finish your series and then post the final product with the entire series of videos to allow a new comer to follow along each video to completion and move on to the next rather than posting individual videos as they are produced.

Just a thought.

Great luck in your venture.

Greg

Back