Analog Sound....

ckj6900

Hi,
is there a sound chip one can install in an analog loco? I am modelling in HOn30 and have found some bodies on Shapeways that have enough space left once the converted N scale drives are installed. i do not want to change over to DCC since most of my engines have very old style drives in them....and no space...
Appreciate all the input...
And...HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY SEASON....lots of Rail Road presents to all
Best
Chris

Well, I’ve done something similar and it works pretty good. I have several dc Rivarossi steam locos which I am gradually converting to dcc, but until time and funds allow, I purchased 1 BlueRail dcc card and one soundtraxx decoder which are running the dc side of my layout. I installed 2 speakers connected to the decoder. This allows me to run one dc loco at a time with sound. It can be used with either a dc or dcc transformer but you do need to make sure your locos are not drawing too much power. There are two sizes of BR cards, 2 or 5 amps and the decoder would to match these inputs.

I tried the Blue Rail decoders a few years ago when they 1st came out. They were big decoders and the sound was through the IPhone. It was ok but would not fit my 4 axle locomotives. I sold them off. I know the new Blue Rail decoders are smaller if you can find any.

Cleaning up a couple weeks ago I came across a few things for sound from the “old” days. A few PFM sound devices and speakers for when I ran steam. I purchased a PFM sound system and throttles before I was married in 1976. Installed in 5 steamers but it just was not a easily moveable system. Look it up on Google or your favorite search engine (mine is duck duck go).

Chris, this maybe of interest. Modeltronics Diesel Sound system.
5BF6CC30-A77C-41C9-85DE-95DDE29C7930.jpeg
3FB6CCC0-A421-482E-BF6E-5CF5CF088F39.jpeg
57D2A42E-5464-4946-89A6-AE7CA688F0FF.jpeg
062BB371-0B73-4931-91DC-1C88D2934A12.jpeg

I had these installed in DC locomotives and found 2 brand new old stock (NOS). I know I had at least 8 installed as I ran A-B-B-A F7 consists on a club layout and I had them in 2 sets. If you want to play with one or both let me know. I certainly will not use them.

TomO

Agree the original br boards were large but they are much smaller now and dcc friendly. I installed only one for my entire layout, not in the individual loco which allows all of my dc locos to be run with sound.

Some model locos come with dual-mode decoders that will operate on either DC or DCC which also have limited sound capability. I don't know if such decoders are available or from whom. Also, the sounds available operating on DC are limited. You might want to take a look at MRC's Tech 6 controller. That might help.
Happy, Healthy and Safe Holidays!

Agree the original br boards were large but they are much smaller now and dcc friendly. I installed only one for my entire layout, not in the individual loco which allows all of my dc locos to be run with sound.
But that’s too simple. I never thought of that, great idea. How are you hearing the sound. Through a smart cell phone or a live speaker or speakers placed around the layout.

Tomo

is there a sound chip one can install in an analog loco? I am modelling in HOn30 and have found some bodies on Shapeways that have enough space left once the converted N scale drives are installed. i do not want to change over to DCC since most of my engines have very old style drives in them....and no space...
Are these steam / diesel or both?

I tried the Blue Rail decoders a few years ago when they 1st came out. They were big decoders and the sound was through the IPhone. It was ok but would not fit my 4 axle locomotives. I sold them off. I know the new Blue Rail decoders are smaller if you can find any.

Cleaning up a couple weeks ago I came across a few things for sound from the “old” days. A few PFM sound devices and speakers for when I ran steam. I purchased a PFM sound system and throttles before I was married in 1976. Installed in 5 steamers but it just was not a easily moveable system. Look it up on Google or your favorite search engine (mine is duck duck go).

Chris, this maybe of interest. Modeltronics Diesel Sound system.
View attachment 137354View attachment 137355View attachment 137356View attachment 137357

I had these installed in DC locomotives and found 2 brand new old stock (NOS). I know I had at least 8 installed as I ran A-B-B-A F7 consists on a club layout and I had them in 2 sets. If you want to play with one or both let me know. I certainly will not use them.

TomO
Hi Tom,
thanks for the offer! i would love to play with them.Find out if i can make them work.
Please let me know how we can make it happen.
Best
Chris

Hi, here are the Pictures of the one I am working on. It is abody from shapeways. The prototype is a New Zealand Diesel.

PBR DH​

....but was also used in South East Asia...The drives in the website are for the HO version...so you will need an N scale drive. The distance between the truck pins is 60 mm. The Wheelbase of a N scale drive is 18 to 20 mm...the wheelbas of the truckframes on the body is 24 mm, so one had to do some modification....anyone building in HOn3 could use a TT scale diesel drive ....
But back to the sound issue .
The layout this one will be running on is only 67 CM X 39CM . So my idea is to to hide a speaker in the mountain and attach the sound unit between the controller and the track...And since only one Diesel will be running at a time....
Love to hear your thoughts on that...
cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 710x528_725531_711673_1474788860_1_0.jpg
    710x528_725531_711673_1474788860_1_0.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 89
  • 710x528_725530_711673_1474788860_1_0.jpg
    710x528_725530_711673_1474788860_1_0.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 710x528_725532_711673_1474788860_1_0.jpg
    710x528_725532_711673_1474788860_1_0.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 94
Gripe Chris. The adventure ride these things took to finally get to you is worth a good science fiction type story. Very happy you finally received them and they work for you

TomO

Hi guys...
a little update.
Love how that Sound Unit works...again a HUGE thank you Tom.....
I got a different speaker...the sound improve....
Now I am experimenting wit 2 speakers and a volume control.....a bit more tricky than i first thought....but a fun project
Cheers
Chris

Back