An Old-School Craftsman Kit

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
I started building this old kit that I have. I think my mother-in-law gave it to me in the early 90's. It's for a 1930's gas station. Since I'm modeling 1958 I bought some new gas pumps to update it a little bit, but the rest of the building should be about the same.

It's an Evergreen Hill Design kit - and surprisingly they seem to still be around. Here is the kit I'm building.

Anyway, it's some scribed, die cut sheets and a bunch of strip wood. Step one is to build the wall framing on the four walls.

Should be a neat model when I'm done.

That's a great kit and I'm glad to see it being built after a 30-year nap on the shelf!
Keep up the fine work and don't forget to take pictures.

Myself, I love those old kits - Timberline kits are my favorites.

I built that kit. Added a few parts here and there.
Gas2a.JPG
Gas2b.JPG
Gas2c.JPG

Making some slow progress. I spray painted the walls white inside and out and then put a wash on the outside to pop the seams.

Starting to glue up the four walls.

I also painted the windows, doors and the 1x6 trim strips black.

The kit came with a bunch of cast metal parts so while the paint was drying I started cleaning the flash off them.

If you look really closely you can see a pair of pliers, a monkey wrench and a rack of screw drivers. Tiny little castings.

A little more progress. Just whittling away at this kit.

I glued the second wall on and then decided I needed a calendar on the wall. For fun I found a high-resolution copy of a 1958 Great Northern wall calendar. I know gas stations would probably have girly calendars, but I though it would be fun to use a GN calendar. So I scaled it down and printed it out.

I also went through some printed signs that I had previously purchased and cut out some gas station related ones to put on the outside.

I installed the windows and doors last night only to discover I'm missing a window! I don't know if it was originally missing from the kit, or if I managed to lose it on my workbench, but I can't find it.

Oh well, it's a Grant Line so I just ordered some more.

That's all I got done because I decided to fire up the laser to start something new. (Man, I don't know how I get anything finished when I'm starting new things all the time!) But that will be a different thread later.

That station is looking great, dang the luck on the window though.
What do you do with a laser? Im looking forward to seeing what you master up next time.

That station is looking great, dang the luck on the window though.
What do you do with a laser? Im looking forward to seeing what you master up next time.
I bought a Glowforge when they first came out. I don't use it nearly enough but I want to start making kits to sell I think.

I decided to try glazing the windows with Kristal Kleer. It works well enough, but now I guess I don't need to worry too much about the interior.

I'll probably still install a light inside just to have it shine through the windows.

On the plus side I found the missing window frame on the floor under my workbench, so that's good.

Back