An old new guy

Cichlidon

Hello,

Cichlidon was a nickname given to me by my friends in the aquarium hobby to which I've been a very active member for over 35 years. However, I've been a model railroad and rail fan/collector far longer and plan to do less fish and more train with your help, in the future.

Hauling coal and maintaining the right of way in the rugged Virginian country side during the 1960's is the "lay-out" in my mind as I have no lay-out in my house, only a 3' test track and bin loads of HO model trains wearing mostly the paint schemes of the Norfolk and Western Railroad.

I am a carpenter/craftsman/handyman by trade. So far, I have built one "train set", a simple table top flat double track lay out for a good client. I set it up and take it down for them around the holiday season for about 4 years now. She (the client) said she "wanted a train set" that reminded her of when she was a little girl visiting her grand parent's house. She has 14 grand kids! I enjoy replacing broken couplers and wheels and pulling hair out of jammed loco trucks!

I've enjoyed model building and painting since childhood. Mostly plastic kits (planes, tanks, boats and cars) and balsa stick and paper airplanes and model rockets. But the level of detail I've seen from modelers here, and elsewhere in the model train hobby, is truly humbling! But, with my macro tools (table saw, chop saw, jig saw, drills and screw gun) and my micro tools (X-acto knives, airbrushes, soldering guns and glues) I am ready to tackle bench work, scenery, track laying and structures and DCC and other advanced projects. But, for now, I will settle with experiencing those things from the hobbyists and modelers here on ModelRailroadForums.com.

Thanks for having me,
Don

Welcome and I know you'll enjoy the Forum's members and the years of modeling experience that is put on display in the Forum.

Greg

Welcome! We are glad to have ya! We got a great crew here and some of us have been here a long time....we are here to help...poke fun of and well teach and learn in all facets of the hobby! So ya welcome aboard!

;) 😁

Back