An ebay item I just picked up...

Dsquared_sleeperMSP

1:87 truck GuRu
What do you think? $20 shipped...

104_2514.png

104_2512.png

On the good side, you'll never get that amount of work done for $20, so it was a good deal.

On the bad side, now all your vehicles, trucks and rolling stock will have to look like that.

On the good, now you have a template.

Nice buy.

thats a beautifully done 45' container and chassis!! lucky you scoring it for $20 lol. Does the seller have more of these or similar weathered stuff?

These are picked up at train shows for about $6-$10. The shipping on eBay eats you up. I'd have passed for $20.

Bob

These are picked up at train shows for about $6-$10. The shipping on eBay eats you up. I'd have passed for $20.

Bob

Bob, you dont get a nicely weathered model like this at a train show for $20 :eek: thats the only thing :D

Plus this is a newer model Athearn RTR model, retails for $19.95, usually you can get them for $12-15....

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some terrific buys then at the two larger shows I attended then. Go on the last day. Dress in your average jeans, a sweatshirt, ball cap...The vendors don't want to take all of their stuff home. Dicker the prices drop.

Allow me to give you some examples from a show I attended in Fabruary. (2) Proto 2000 Wabash E8's $30 each, (30) Athearn Blue Box unassembled freight cars $50, (1) ailing Broadway Limited C&O 2-6-6-2 $60(decoder was loose), (3) 100pc boxes of Atlas Code 100 Nickle Flex-Track $300, (3) boxes of "stuff"(mostly structures and Walthers switches) $24, (6) other Proto 2000 engines $150 and a Broadway Limited Niagra $60. So, the deals are there you just have to haggle and time your visit.

Yep, I would have walked before paying $20 for the van at a train show.

Bob

Got some terrific buys then at the two larger shows I attended then. Go on the last day. Dress in your average jeans, a sweatshirt, ball cap...The vendors don't want to take all of their stuff home. Dicker the prices drop.

Allow me to give you some examples from a show I attended in Fabruary. (2) Proto 2000 Wabash E8's $30 each, (30) Athearn Blue Box unassembled freight cars $50, (1) ailing Broadway Limited C&O 2-6-6-2 $60(decoder was loose), (3) 100pc boxes of Atlas Code 100 Nickle Flex-Track $300, (3) boxes of "stuff"(mostly structures and Walthers switches) $24, (6) other Proto 2000 engines $150 and a Broadway Limited Niagra $60. So, the deals are there you just have to haggle and time your visit.

Yep, I would have walked before paying $20 for the van at a train show.

Bob

Well, its a good deal for ebay.

I guess, I'd pass there too.

Bob

Heck, id be stoked!! He got a RTR container and Chassis that retails for $20 for $20 shipped to his door, plus it was fully weathered and everything and is a beautifully done model. Well worth it to me, no matter where i got it from.... :)

But, he didn't get to eat a slimey hot dog with the works and drink a flat coke at the train show.... And he may have walked out with an armload of stuff.

I just got off of he phone with one of my buddies that bought some trailers and containers at the show. He paid $12.00 each for weathered vans and $10 each for his containers. Maybe a good price paid for the items from eBay, but not great.

I, too, think it is a nice model. Just on eBay, he should have been able to get a better buy. And at a train show I'm sure he would have.

There are three of us that frequent train shows together. The driver handles gas expenses, one springs for lunch and the other pays for admission. At the show in February, the vehicle was FULL of stuff and no place for us to sit. Next time, the guy with the van drives. Plenty of room then.

Nice model though, and the weathering is good, if not outstanding. Still, $20 is not a steal, which is what I shop for.

Bob

Since we never have a train show closer than four hours away and I wouldn't have time to walk around and dicker all day if I was to make it up and back in one day, I still would have paid $20 for it if I really wanted it. Sometimes bargains are in the eye of the beholder. :)

I don't know what train shows you guys go to but I've never seen anything that nicely weathered at the ones I've been to. Not much in the way of anything custom at the shows in my area. Mostly it's just, as far as vehicles go, some beat up old Hot Wheels billed as being genuine HO scale :rolleyes:

Tell me where you find a similarly weathered trailer for less then $20 at a train show and I'm there. And then what about the entry fee?

Excellent weathering, very nice high end model, all for $20 delivered to your door. I'd say good deal. Dang good deal :cool:

Ha, I had Chinese food for dinner tonight from my favorite place named Yang Ming Garden (everyone calls it Yang Mings). Always think of their great food when I see these containers go by on BNSF freights. We joke they must be shipping the restaurant food in them.

I attend 4-5 major shows a year. Chicago(a real let down, big O-scale though), Fort Wayne and Indianapolis, Indiana, Dayton, Ohio and Louisville, Kentucky. I have been to the show in Cincinnati, but have snubbed it for the Kentucky show as of late. The two Hoosier shows have been better by far.

There used to be a show in South Bend at Joyce Arena. Don't know if it still exists, but it was decent.

There is always the dealers with Tyco, Life Like and such that overcharge at every show. But, there are deals to be made at our local shows. I usually buy in quantity and dicker like there was no tomorrow.

I always go the last day. I used to attend for two days, but found the deals on the final day and still alot to choose from. Some of the deals are mind boggling. A Broadway Limited C&O 2-6-6-2 for $100, LNIB, Proto 2000 E-units for $20-25,NIB, (25)Triple Crown Road Railers $5 each(new), my 130' turntable was $75, NIB,...all purchased at the shows this year. You will need to haggle a bit. Well, maybe alot. I've spent as much as $1000 at shows, and I always spend a couple hundred. That's why I go. I've even bought a Ounitah articulated G-scale logger for $25 for the better half's G-scale Garden train. I go to get deals, and I usually find a few.

There was one vendor at the two Hoosier shows that was selling weathered trailers for $12.50. I didn't buy any, but next year I will. Sell 'em on eBay. Admission is $5, I think so if I buy 50 or so I can come out ok.

My prize catches lately on eBay are a heavily weathered Niagara that I bought for $76.50 and a weathered, Broadway Limited Pennsy T1 4-4-4-4 that I bought for $78.90. Those should be here this week. Prices include shipping. Been pretty lucky lately.

But, I still don't think that the $20 weathered van is a great deal. Good, maybe, just not great. I could have gotten the same ting at one of our shows and still had money left for that slimy hot dog with everything and that flat Diet Coke.

Just a matter of perception, I guess.

Bob

Heck, id be stoked!! He got a RTR container and Chassis that retails for $20 for $20 shipped to his door, plus it was fully weathered and everything and is a beautifully done model. Well worth it to me, no matter where i got it from.... :)

.....Ditto!

I guess you guys have more money than I do. $20 can buy quite a bit if you watch and shop. I guess it's all relative to the size of the pocketbook.

Bob

eBay is tricky....The "Seller" wants the most he can get. The "Buyer" wants to spend the least amount. The seller is looking for the one guy who wants this and moneys not an issue. The buyer may see that one item he had when he was a kid, always wanted, is the only one available he ever saw in original box etc. One of a kind items become somewhat priceless. Tho it may only be worth $10, how many are around?? If only one is, the price can go well over $50 to the guy who "don't care...I want it!!"... I know one buyer that if it has EBT on it and he wants it, forget ever bidding because he don't care the price, he'll outbid you.
If you are happy with the price then its a deal for you!....I love the looks of it and your lucky I didn't see it first...I'd a went $25...LOL
If the picture wasn't on your table, I'd swear it was real!...Kudos to the builder..I don't think I could let that piece go if I built it!

Bob

That's because you're one of those people who don't appreciate the time, effort, and skill involved in a weathering job such as that. If you did.....you would know that $20 is a steal for the "work" alone. I can tell you as a custom painter........... that was a steal at $20. I would buy as many as I could at that price. So what you can get them new for $6-10, do you have any idea how much time it takes to weather it so it looks that good. It's no wonder professional model builders cant mke squat, because every cheap a** on the web is looking for bargin basement prices even for custom work.

Back