An all-around tour of my layout

Posted this in the last WPF thread, but thought I might as well post it seperately because...well....There is a seperate catagory for it! My layout is something like a 12x16, originally built as plan 48 from 101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders, but it had one half changed and a helix put in to make the VIrginia branchline the main line.
It starts at my favorite photo location, which I just posted another thread on. This view also shows the Virginia enginehouse.
38f7ec1d.png

This shot shows all of Virginia which is currently being rebuilt, with its coal mine and lengths of masonite..
4bc85466.png

This ends the part that i from the plan. The next shot shows Cottonwood hill, the Truckee river, and Hicksville.
c2ef664f.png

This shot is just a filler as to not break the panorama..
4735f700.png

The city of Cornerville. (Aptly named!)
6fd55682.png

The East Cornerville yard's engine facility & full circle.
MRRpan7.png

MRRpan8.png

SWEET now I know whats what, glad to see I got you posting here, and can;t wait to see more weekly!

Very nice work!

Tell use a little more about it. Train control, theme (proto, fictional), future plans, operation, etc. You've peaked my interest, that's a cool RR and I'd like to hear (and see) more! :cool:

grande man said:
Very nice work!

Tell use a little more about it. Train control, theme (proto, fictional), future plans, operation, etc. You've peaked my interest, that's a cool RR and I'd like to hear (and see) more! :cool:
Train control: Three DC power packs, non movable. (Unless you count hooking long wires to the back and taking them with you, but it's not very handy). Two are hooked up to the entire system, using Atlas selectors to control the blocks, The third is visible in the last two pics, and it's hooked up to the yard only.
Theme: Uhh....Started out as the V&T in Nevada, just like the plan, except we had a CP engine...cause...it's Canada and all...then it sorta...um... Well, it's not really anything. But I run CP, as you can see. Flexible era. Anywhere from the 40s to the present day.
Operation: I just run the trains when and where I feel like it. :p
Construction started in late 1995 when my dad permeated a disk in his back, and thought he might as well take up a time-consuming hobby. The plan stayed rue to the one in the book until 1999, when major track relocations and replannings were made, mostly completed by 2001. Current project: Redoing Virginia, as well as ballasting all the tracks. I do the ballasting, my dad does the scenery. Future plans: Maybe add a staging yard in the next room, and get a PCM GN S-2 (4-8-4)
Thanks for the interest!

Matt, it sounds like fun.

Have you and your Dad ever considered running operating sessions with switch lists (cards, computer, handwritten) on a fast clock? I never thought that would be nearly as much fun as it turned out to be for us. LGM and I really enjoy operating. You have a great RR to run like the real thing!

Thanks for bringing us along on the "tour". :cool:

Here's a sample of some of our paperwork if you're interested. We have two jobs, the mainline operator that runs 9-11 trains thru the layout between different staging destinations and the yard switch/local job in town. Thru trains drop off/pick up select cars and the switcher stays very busy keeping up! We run a 3:1 fast clock.

Nice layout. I've been waiting for a tour of this one. Once my layout is *done* I'll have to post a tour of mine.

Back