Amtrak Help

sparkyftw

So my friend has to get back to his AF base, and I am going with him for the drive to VA. I have decided for the trip back to take the train instead of trying to get a plane ticket with FF miles. Why not enjoy my vacation for a bit right?

Can someone tell me the difference between these two options

Alright. Thanks for the help. Just need to purchase a ticket. Leaving tomorrow afternoon. I am excited. Road trip with the friend, and train ride on the way home.

My cousin who was stationed in New York swore to riding the rails. So much more laid back than trying to have to catch a plane and stuff like that.

The big thingy is the upgrade is like buzness class on the plane,you have less ppl nicer seats,you may get to watch a moive I always go for the upgrade when I go to Portland this way I can relax and get work done instead of having to deal with a bunch of crying screaming kids and having to look at the same person across from me for the 8 hr trip there, sorry to the ppl who may be offended but "it is what it is":cool:

P.S. my soul was removed to make room for all this sarcasm:rolleyes:

I agree about the upgrade. You get better seats and the car is not generally as full. There's also a business class lounge car. Crying babies and kids running up and down the aisles can make for a long trip. :)

Well when I went back and ordered my ticket, they either ran out of the cheap seats or someone caught a mistake, cause the more expansive one was the only option.

Jim, What's even funnier is I try to log on with my laptop but I tend to be to busy looking out the window:D and listeing to my scanner :)with whats going with the train crew,On the last trip to Portland I was asked by the police that were waitng at the next stop to chat with me about WHY I had a scanner:eek:,seems I and my scanner had the conductor a wee bit on edge:cool: was pretty funny.

Larry, were you using headphones with the scanner? The conductors tend to get a lot more nervous if they hear railroad traffic coming from something other than their radio. It's not illegal to use to use a scanner on an Amtrack train as long as you use headphones. I've done it before and most of the crew think it a Walkman since I use a stubby antenna. Still, you are likely to get attention in this 9/11 world if you do more than sit in the seat with your hands visible at all times. :)

Oh yeah I had my earphone on,I guess He didn't like it when I asked how long it would be till the other train passed:D and I'm sure being on the laptop and texting on the cell phone didn't help

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, OK, that would sort of tip him off. :) I've found it sometimes best to let the conductior know why you have a scanner and what you're listening too. It can't hurt and some conductors are pretty railfan friendly since they know a fair proportion of people riding the train are doing it because they like trains...or are afraid of flying. :D

LOL Jim I knew that but if he was going ot let me pushes his "buttons" what could I do :rolleyes::cool::D it was to good to pass up I'll go to the time out chair now:p

Back