Amish International Speedway, Perryville, MD.

otiscnj

Plan to post some photos in the next couple of days on this layout I'm working on in 'O/027,' using Fastrack and the older Lionel Tubular Rail. Layout constructed on a base of hollow core doors. Stay tunned. Amish Speedway utilizes SCX 1:43 racetrack. Focus of the equipment is PRR, mostly with various electric engines.

3 photos. Its in the shape right now of an 'h,' only without the extension of the left side. 1) Shows the farm at the end of the layout, with Phoebe Snow excursion train on curve. 2)Middle portion of the 'h.' Several storage tracks with trains waiting their turn on the mainline. On the left edge of the photo is the passenger station. 3), In the distance is the passenger terminal, on the far side of the Lionel bridge.

Attachments

• 027first915.JPG
    027first915.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 772
  • 027second915.JPG
    027second915.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 771
  • 027third915.JPG
    027third915.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 686
Last edited by a moderator:
Working on a re-incarnation of this layout. Currently using track on the floor, in a room, upstairs. Here's a photo to whet your appetite, of what's to come. Its on hollow core doors. The curves visible are 42" and 54" tubular track.

An update from 9/17/2016: Spent some time Saturday night adding/arranging things as I somewhat had in mind. First Photo is the 'high priced town,' as all the structures are very nice, and well maintained. (Mostly MTH, Lionel, Woodland Scenics). The other photo is the 'mountain section,' which includes the race track area, or the Amish International Speedway.

Attachments

• amishnewld16.jpg
    amishnewld16.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 593
  • amish2b9172016.jpg
    amish2b9172016.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 563
  • amish2a91716.jpg
    amish2a91716.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 660
The 1:43 cars are analog. We(my wife and I) bought the race track at Target a number of years ago now. Carerra has stopped making the SCX brand. They do make 1;43 Digital sets, but its with the GO! type track, not the SCX type of track. The tabs at the end that hold the track together are on opposite sides of each lane, if you try and mix the two. Carerra has not spent a lot of time developing the 1:43 scale. This year, at least, there are no Digital decoders available in their catalogue for converting analog to digital, which I'm very disappointed about. In part this is due to the Spanish tax laws, and financial troubles over there right now. I'd like to make the race track portion of the layout, like a cross between Monaco, and LeMans, with appropriate grandstands, and fences, etc., but Carerra isn't making much in the way of accessories from what I've seen in the catalogue, in 2016.

A few new photos of the O gauge set up. I call this addition 'The City.' Its got a passenger terminal, and a few tracks for freight. This was made with sections of my HO layout, that I wasn't using, at least for the basic table. I've since added cork between the tracks and the table top-hopefully to reduce noise some, although I like the sounds that the O gauge trains make. the tracks in these photos are just placed on top of the table, nothing is fastened down. I may add a loop at the far end, so that trains can traverse the city quickly, like on a belt line.

The main focus is PRR, although they never had an EP-5 of their own. I'm using Lionel tubular track in the passenger terminal, with 042 switches. On the freight side, I'm using some Ross Custom Switches (054) and Gargraves track.

Attachments

• cityside1417a.JPG
    cityside1417a.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 414
  • cityheadon1417.JPG
    cityheadon1417.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 417
You're getting there!

Have you ever stopped into the Passenger Station in town when the club is running the layout there? I've wanted to stop in for a while now, but forget exactly when it is. I think it's something like the 3rd Sunday afternoon of the month or something like that.

Railrunner, I'm not sure which town's Passenger Station you're talking about. There are a number of groups in my area, with different sorts of operating layouts.

Railrunner-that's OK, I think there are worse places to be than Perryville. Its a favorite place of mine on the NEC. I actually live in NW NJ, not to far from Sparta Mountain, and the NYS&W Southern Division mainline.

Here's what I got completed yesterday. Lighting up the tower, and station in Railtown/Middletown, + 2 businesses across the street. The IGA still has to be lit, in addition to the factory, + 4 houses in town. On the other side of the layout, nearby to the Amish Raceway, a beacon on top of the water tower, + a bridge beacon need to be lit up. That's the work for today.

Attachments

• middletowno27lites.JPG
    middletowno27lites.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 400
Managed to run electricity to a few more buildings on Monday-photos attached. The houses are complete for now. Still need to wire up the IGA and Box/barrel factory(Woodland Scenics buildings). Now paving the streets, adding some ground cover, planting a few more trees, and things won't look so much like a plywood jungle. Another view of the Middletown Freight Yard, as well as Penn Station, which I eventually hope to have covered with an arch shed room.

Attachments

• midlerailstation.JPG
    midlerailstation.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 393
  • strasbgtwro27lit.JPG
    strasbgtwro27lit.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 373
  • midtyrd317.jpg
    midtyrd317.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 387
  • prrsta417.JPG
    prrsta417.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 376
View of the PRR station. Eventually hope to have an arch shed over the platforms. Catenary is non-operational.

Attachments

• prrsta417.JPG
    prrsta417.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 518
Been making some modifications of late, to add space to the Middletown freight yard. Looking to add the Menards power plant in that area, and now have some room for the Sunoco Oil Terminal on the main layout. Will try and post some photos, soon.

View of hillside downtown, and railroad right of way, in Middletown(no semblance to anywhere specific).

Attachments

• middletownhill917.jpg
    middletownhill917.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 371
So, a bit of googling indicates that they did, at one time, make "Sulky" slotcars, featuring a horse and those little two wheeled racing carts.

From the looks of them, if you could find a couple, you could possibly kitbash them into horse and buggies. Or, just use the design concept and make your own from an open wheel racer, a model horse and some styrene. Could be fun.

Back