Amazing the stupidity of advertisers Operation Life Saver

Whoever made those comercials are just as stupid as the people who walk into path of a locomotive. And the toy one well I guess the kids will get lot's of simulator practice before they get their license and try it for real.
13.gif
Willis

That GM commercial with the Escalade is just insulting to human intelligence. My philosophy is that the size of one's SUV and the size of one's penis are inversely proportionate.

The bigger your SUV = the smaller your willy

mtrpls said:
The bigger your SUV = the smaller your willy

Does that mean they have less brain capacity? They say the little head always thinks for the big one :eek:

Again, it's amazing that they would promote such things. I can't imagine the engines in those commercials were even there, maybe??? Considering computer animation techniques. If not, then the RR's or companies leasing those engines should have said something.

Yeah, but money talks in today's society. Just ask Exxon Mobil, Halliburton, and Wal-Mart, all three of whom are making record profits at the expense of the middle class and their heavy influence in Washington, DC. Corporations use their financial and political leverage to modify the physical and mental atmosphere of the world in which they do business. It's a shame, really, at the crimes they get away with.

GM/Cadillac has been advertising for several years now with their themes usually aimed at retarded customers.

And GM wonders what their problem is!

GM's main problem is that they are wholly dedicated to the unsustainable SUV concept, promoting their monster-truck line and convincing the public that we need to drive these gas-hogs. The greedy public relishes in the idea of owning a vehicle much larger than we really need. GM has recently announced they are investing most of their attention to the SUV market, which is truly sad and will ultimately lead to the downfall of the company.

As China and India demand more oil, and prices per barrel continue to skyrocket, consumers will no longer be able to afford filling up their 12-mpg GMC Yukon Denali XXXXXL. What's more, GM's promotion of the SUV concept is doing nothing to end the western world's overdependence on Middle Eastern oil.

I predict that, within the next 30 years, GM will have fallen to shambles and its remnants sold off to foreign automakers like Toyota and the like. It should be fun to watch GM's stock continue to slide as they misjudge the marketplace and continue to make irresponsible decisions regarding their marketing and product line.

Last edited by a moderator:
David
Does that mean they have less brain capacity? They say the little head always thinks for the big one
Nice one David,,,The sad thing about these add's is you will always get some idiot who believes them

That Escalade commercial is at least 3 years old.If you really pay attention to it you will realize that the trains are waiting for the Escalade to go through.

As for the other two ,how many ways can you say stupid?:(

dthurman said:
I stumbled upon the 3 commercials that were aired to the more impressionable side of the public.

Well, I wasn't going to wait three hours to download these (still on dial-up, you know). I guess I'll just have to take everyone's word that these ads leave a lot to be desired.

mtrpls said:
GM's main problem is that they are wholly dedicated to the unsustainable SUV concept, promoting their monster-truck line and convincing the public that we need to drive these gas-hogs. The greedy public relishes in the idea of owning a vehicle much larger than we really need. GM has recently announced they are investing most of their attention to the SUV market, which is truly sad and will ultimately lead to the downfall of the company.

As China and India demand more oil, and prices per barrel continue to skyrocket, consumers will no longer be able to afford filling up their 12-mpg GMC Yukon Denali XXXXXL. What's more, GM's promotion of the SUV concept is doing nothing to end the western world's overdependence on Middle Eastern oil.

I predict that, within the next 30 years, GM will have fallen to shambles and its remnants sold off to foreign automakers like Toyota and the like. It should be fun to watch GM's stock continue to slide as they misjudge the marketplace and continue to make irresponsible decisions regarding their marketing and product line.

I believe the "Big 3" could do wonders for their vehicle sales (as well as our dependence on foreign oil) by introducing smaller diesel powered vehicles. With diesels getting about 50% better milage than gas engines in the same vehicles, we could have mid size cars getting close to 50 mpg, minivans getting 35-40 mpg, and small trucks getting 30-35 mpg. This would not solve all our problems, but the newer, cleaner burning diesels are not like those of just a few years ago. Since we aren't very close to finding a solution to eliminate our need for oil, we can, at least, reduce our need for it by using more efficient engines in our vehicles. This is my opinion about one of the things that the Detroit crowd should consider.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about...

Yes, I understand Operation Lifesaver and I understand the need for on track safety etc.

But I also understand they're commercials, and supposed to be funny. I saw an ad last night where a Toyota Tacoma was left on the beach when the tide came in, washed over the rocks end over end, and when the tide went out, the fellow gets in and drives it away.

Another one shows the car driving underwater, and everyone has snorkles. There's one where they drop all kinds of stuff on the truck, then it drives out from under the huge pile.

How many other car commercials show folks speeding and doing other stupid stuff?

If you stop frame it in Tivo, you see fine print that reads "Dramatization - This car isn't really a submarine..."

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of having to protect folks who are so stupid they believe everything they see in a commercial.

Forget the car commercials, can I sue the beer and shampoo commercial folks? After all, they make it look I'll attract supermodels when I use their stuff, but it never happens...

I think the point of Operation Life Saver, is that teaching kids about the dangers of RR crossings and trying to beat a train is wrong. As for the commercials, while funny in context, I think also shows that you beat the train you win. Or as in the Gumout one, you still live, only get dragged. I know personally of someone immitating a scene from some movie that had a knife scene in it, the kids that re-created this scene were drunk, and one ended up in the hospital over the knife cutting them. Are they dumb? More likely not, but they saw it and in the drunken state wanted to re-create it, why add fuel to a fire that isn't required. Maybe if people were more responsable, either the commercials or the ones watching, we wouldn't have issues.

Now as for the beer and supermodel thing, I think they say if you drink enough beer, your beer goggles should create a supermodel by the end of the night.

I was fortunate to sit in on an Operation Lifesaver presentation this last month. It was interesting indeed to listen to the presenter, an engineer, tell about how folks do such dumb things, mostly going around the barricades. He has 38 years service and has hit 14 vehicles. He said that once the brakes are applied and he's done all he can, all he can do then is sit and wait for the impact.
I do believe that television, movies and commercials have a definite influence in a lot of cases and in others it's just people wanting to get around that barrier and beat the train. But it's not only that behavior. He also talked about people going to sleep on the tracks for whatever reason, getting caught on a trestle, and in some areas it is a sport to throw rocks at the locomotive.
It was an interesting talk.
Jarrell

mtrpls said:
Yeah, but money talks in today's society. Just ask Exxon Mobil, Halliburton, and Wal-Mart, all three of whom are making record profits at the expense of the middle class and their heavy influence in Washington, DC. Corporations use their financial and political leverage to modify the physical and mental atmosphere of the world in which they do business. It's a shame, really, at the crimes they get away with.
This thread went from advertiser stupidity to crimes against humanity? That's a stretch.

> I think the point of Operation Life Saver, is that teaching kids
> about the dangers of RR crossings and trying to beat a train

That's an important message, and I totally support it.

> As for the commercials, while funny in context, I think also
> shows that you beat the train you win. Or as in the Gumout
> one, you still live, only get dragged.

Would they also believe you can drive your car underwater? Drop a ton of bricks on it without harming it? Drive your SUV to the Artic circle? Drive at high speeds down city streets? Getting out of your SUV and confronting a bear? I've seen all of these in the last few days.

I'm not saying what they portray is good, obviously it's not. All I'm saying is that if we protest these unsafe acts, why aren't we protesting all of the other unsafe stuff they show in car commercials?

> I know personally of someone immitating a scene from some
> movie that had a knife scene in it... they saw it and in the
> drunken state wanted to re-create it

So we should ban knife scenes? Gun fights too obviously. And car chases. Fist fights. Martial arts movies would obviously have to go... So where do you stop? Are we left watching Disney cartoons? Wait, there's violence in those too...

I'm sorry, instead making the world safe for stupid/foolish/drunk people, I suggest we try to educate folks enough that they have the common sense not to try and leap off a tall building just because Superman does it, or leap off a clip and expcet to walk away like the Coyote in the RoadRunner cartoon.

> Maybe if people were more responsable, either the commercials
< or the ones watching, we wouldn't have issues.

Now you're on the right track. (but watch out for trains...)

> Now as for the beer and supermodel thing, I think they say
> if you drink enough beer, your beer goggles should create a
< supermodel by the end of the night.

Please, for your own good, watch the following brief training film:

http://members.aol.com/matt999h/beer.htm
"BEER IS GOOD FOR YOU? - Inspired by a horrific 'incident' on a Friday night, a
reminder to all men about the dangers of drinking beer."

modelbob said:
> Now as for the beer and supermodel thing, I think they say
> if you drink enough beer, your beer goggles should create a
< supermodel by the end of the night.

Please, for your own good, watch the following brief training film: