Alternatives to WWScenics Static Grass Layering Spray

GuilfordRailman

I’ve read online that WWScenics layering spray is a fantastic product to layer static grass. From what I’ve seen online, this product is only available from the UK with international shipping. I’m okay with paying the price and waiting on the item to arrive but before I order it, are there any recommendations for alternatives for this product? Would Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement work just as well? Any other recommendations?

Noch, which I believe is widely available at Walthers, modeltrainstuff, etc.

Edit [Added] -okay, I just noticed the word 'spray'. Sorry for my first response. Cheap hairspray, 2M Product 77 or whatever it is, even sprayed dilute Mod Podge, but not the glossy kind. You'd want the 'matte' variety.

Last edited:
Noch, which I believe is widely available at Walthers, modeltrainstuff, etc.

Edit [Added] -okay, I just noticed the word 'spray'. Sorry for my first response. Cheap hairspray, 2M Product 77 or whatever it is, even sprayed dilute Mod Podge, but not the glossy kind. You'd want the 'matte' variety.
No worries! I’ll explore the hairsprays more as well as the diluted mod podge. I have some matte already. Do you have a recommended specific ratio?

At least two-to-one, but spraying at that thickness might present a challenge to the mechanism you use to aerosolize it. Try three-to-one and see if that works. It's just take a bit longer to dry, possibly, depending on ambient humidity. More of it is not good, not initially. A first light spritz, let it dry over 12 hours, and then reapply if it's strongly advised.

At least two-to-one, but spraying at that thickness might present a challenge to the mechanism you use to aerosolize it. Try three-to-one and see if that works. It's just take a bit longer to dry, possibly, depending on ambient humidity. More of it is not good, not initially. A first light spritz, let it dry over 12 hours, and then reapply if it's strongly advised.
I’ll give it a shot, thanks!

D&J raises an important point there ^. How do you get the grass to stand up (which is the whole idea behind static grass). Can you spray a wet adhesive, then "connect" to it long enough to complete an electrical circuit and get the added static grass to stand up?

The technique I found on youtube consisted of using white glue or something similar to adhere the static grass initially with the applicator. Then spray some layering adhesive prior to adding another layer of static grass, usually one of different lengths or colors.

I will say it does make more sense to me to just blend the static grasses together and only apply one layer but maybe I’m missing something?

The first sequence of this video show's one of Mark Watson's Free-moN sections (module), and, IMO, the grasswork is exceptional.
Free-moN is N scale, in case that isn't obvious.

Back