Alternatives to Cinch Connectors

wpgrailfan

WYSIWYG Photographer
I'm not sure how many MRFF members are also part of the NTrak group on Yahoo!, but there appears to be a lively debate going on at the moment about finding an alternative to the Cinch Jones connector used for track power on NTrak modules.

If anyone has any thoughts, let's post them here.

Hi Marc, Radio Shack. Princess Auto sell or used to sell wiring plug sets for trailers. When we had a club going that's what was used on the modules. Just an idea, but there should be no problem selecting a M/F plug combination from computer cable souces.
Cheers Willis

On my "married" pairs of modules in HO, I used a 4 pole (or 6, or 8, etc) nylon connector I found a Radio Shack. Thus far, they have worked great, and I hear the club I used to be in has gone that route as opposed to the Cinch Jones plugs.

The plugs I used accomdated 14 ga. stranded wire with no problem that I can recall.

RailroadJeep said:
On my "married" pairs of modules in HO, I used a 4 pole (or 6, or 8, etc) nylon connector I found a Radio Shack. Thus far, they have worked great, and I hear the club I used to be in has gone that route as opposed to the Cinch Jones plugs.

The plugs I used accomdated 14 ga. stranded wire with no problem that I can recall.

I too prefer the "Molex" type connectors, we then then had the "standard" connectors with adapters for connection to other's modules when needed.

The molex connectors are great since the pins are universal and can be kept available regardless of the # needed. You can key the connectors in many, many ways, not only with the housings but also with the pins.

btw, we crimped AND soldered ours. I highly recommend it.

kenw said:
I too prefer the "Molex" type connectors, we then then had the "standard" connectors with adapters for connection to other's modules when needed.

The molex connectors are great since the pins are universal and can be kept available regardless of the # needed. You can key the connectors in many, many ways, not only with the housings but also with the pins.

btw, we crimped AND soldered ours. I highly recommend it.

Thats it!! I totally was spacing out on what they were called, but yeah, thats them. That was something I really liked with them too was the versatility off the pin arrangements, no more needing to color code plugs.

I to did the crimp and solder approach, with how much they get moved around and such, I feel doing both is a good idea just to be safe.

In the latest issue of the NTrak newsletter, there is a new Recommended Practice with regards to wiring powerpoles and cinch connectors.

Back